Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Skirt Finally Finished (part 2)

In part one of this blog I showed you the inside story of this skirt.  If this is the first blog about this skirt you have accessed, I am making a skirt based on New Look 6103 but with a waistband instead of a separate cut on yoke and faced waistband.

New Look 6103

Sarah Liz Jan 2103

Now that darts and zip are completed it's time to sew the side seams ready for check fitting.  I found that there was a little too much extra at the waist to high hip area. I also sheered a small amount off the side seams to compensate for the stretch of the fabric. I'm never precious about marking my alterations - I use a blue wash out marker if it shows up - apparently you are supposed to test on every fabric first, but I usually throw caution to the winds.  I'll get caught one day, probably when I'm making something really special out of a really divine fabric. I'm not precious about drawing on my traced patterns either - when they are close to "right" I usually trace a master copy for the next garment as well, so its ready for the next skirt I might make out of stretch fabric.

Skirt alteration.
Now on to the finishing.  Overlock side seams, add interfacing to waistband, overlock edge, attach waistband, overlock hem, finish kick pleat hem and hem garment (blind hem by hand).  Add hook and eye closure and a press stud to waistband.

Finished hem edge of skirt showing kickpleat
Finished waistband showing skirt hook and eye and press stud closure.
All finished and ready to wear.  The next blog will show the skirt with 2 or 3 different garments I already own.

No comments:

Post a Comment