Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fearless February Finale

Fearless February is soon over - I don't suppose it matters if one or two challenges are left for the rest of the year.  Many thanks to Victoria of tenthousandsewinghours.blogspot.com.  I did manage to make two garments up. The first was a pair of pants that were supposed to be smart casual - unfortunately the pattern I chose was not flattering, so I made a different pair of more relaxed pants - not quite what I originally had in mind.  Ironically though, they have already turned out to be very useful as utilitarian pants - and we need those sorts of garments too!  I have already worn them quite a bit as "house pants" - comfortable and relaxed, good for ironing, gardening and so on.  My other pledge was that every garment made had to go with 2 or 3 others.  These pants certainly do - a relaxed pink polo and a pale blue dobby tunic blouse.  Now I have a casual outfit for the housework.
My failure pants that became a great success!

I also found a garment in the UFO pile - a polka dot skirt, made out of a basic cotton fabric,  cut out a few years ago.  Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the pattern, because I have some tracings just marked "straight skirt", with the rest of the pattern long since discarded (sometimes you only make one garment from separates patterns).  So I decided to face the fear I have of finishing things off if I am not sure about them - the pants exercise certainly taught me the value of that lesson!
Front of skirt with false front opening and kick pleat.

The skirt has a vent opening at the front, not the back, which is a neat twist.  As I have slim legs and okay knees this works for me.
The front vent.
I also had to put elastic in the waist at the back - I was a couple of kilo's heavier a few years ago, and really should put this back on again - so I decided not to fiddle too much, and use elastic - that's what it is for.  Gives me lots of bending and movement room - not so bad on a firm weave and I am an active sort of person. 
Rear Zip and Waist Band

And does this go with 2 or 3 other garments - yes!  All criteria met!

On to March challenges...

Sarah Liz :)


14 comments:

  1. Yay for successfully meeting all criteria! I love it when it all comes together nicely :)
    I didn't quite finish my Cordova but I'll just add that to my March challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It really doesn't matter that you haven't finished the second project - the jacket was really such an achievement on your part. I'll be watching how the stretch knit goes - I hope it is as simple as it looks and comes together well. As soon as you post, I'll pop over and have a look.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear your pants turned out to be a success and that you're getting lots of wear out of them. It's always a plus when you make something and actually get to wear it and not just leave it hanging in the wardrobe (I've had a few of those over the years and I'm sure I'm not alone LOL). Love the skirt and adding the elastic to the waistband is a great ideas and would make it really comfortable to wear as well... and will come in handy if you do put on a little weight. And the good thing is they go with other garments and met your criteria :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris - yes, success is sometimes what you make it - I have a whole lot of unworn clothes in my wardrobe as well. Did you know that most women only wear about 20% of their wardrobe so you are not alone. I'll blog about it one day. Although it is lovely to sew something absolutely gorgeous, even if unworn. I love putting elastic in waistband - middles do tend to wax and wane, especially in the more elegant years! Special garments like your boned skirt, maybe not - I'd build in some ability to alter though, but more functional garments I like to last the distance, whatever the tum is doing!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you are enjoying the comfort of your new pants.The skirt is adorable. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - I am enjoying the comfort of the pants - but I still need to make the smarter pair! The skirt is cute, and I'll enjoy wearing it - casual clothes that are smart enough to pop out in are my favourite garments.

      Delete
  4. Both of your outfits turned out nicely and it's always good to be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dot - yes, most of our clothes do fall into the "need to be useful" category - although there is nothing like dressing up for special occasions - nowadays the world is so casual, that special dressing seems to have become something of a lost art form.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I removed it because it was addressed to Lisa, and was in the wrong place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both your garments turned out really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carolyn - I must let you know that your blog inspired me quite a bit to get back into sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you got a skirt done as well! And it looks lovely! My challenge (and it's even only one garment) was late. That's a very nice combo when you're doing housework. The clothes I wear when I go out don't look half as nice as your housework clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elise - yes, the skirt had been cut out years ago so I decided to finish it. I had to make some smarter clothes for the house, because I was only wearing the really run down clothes. I think you look lovely, and when you are young, everything looks nice. Just make sure you get some good basics and then you will always look good.

    ReplyDelete