Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

A classic white summer shirt.



Faye has been holding a sew-a-long where all participants make a top of their choice.  The sew-a-long runs for 2 weeks and finishes on the 7th April 2013.

I decided to make a plain white cotton summer short sleeved shirt.  Our summer is nearly over, but I only have one really cool summer blouse to wear when the thermometer climbs to about 95 degrees.  I sometimes visit Adelaide and occasionally it gets to over 105 degrees, so I like simple loose cotton shirts with loose cotton trousers (on my to make list).

I used New Look pattern6963.  The version I used is the blue shirt shown at the bottom right corner.

This shirt is designed to be a semi-fitted and very loose shirt.  As I was worried about the time factor, I decided against making a test muslin.  The fabric I used is a cheap homespun, so I decided that as it was a loose blouse, that I could probably forgo making one.

I did take the precaution of  laying the pattern pieces on top of a blouse that fitted reasonably well on the shoulders before cutting.  I decided to make size 8 with a little more at the side seams for the front.

I started the shirt during the week.  I am afraid had to dedicate yesterday entirely to paperwork (at home, a year or more of sorting - should have done it at the time, but I was finishing a degree, my husband became unwell, his two staff resigned and I had to hold the fort until we could get a new person - and am still sorting out the billing and bookkeeping  side of his practice, so I can be excused for being a little behind with my paperwork! 

However, I digress:

I made most of the shirt up last week as it is pretty straightforward - some sewing everyday got it nearly to the finish point.  The shirt was finished this morning, as my reward for yesterday's diligence, with the button and buttonholes attended.

That's the front view of course, and here is the back view:



And now on me:


Front view of course. Now the back:


As I did not fit this shirt - this is a wearable muslin, I  have to admit it is no worse in fit than anything I buy - I am not very broad across the back, but need my front accommodated.  I am never going to be able to change my underlying angular shape.  I think when I move it will be fine - and I still need to be able to bend over.  And on very hot days the extra roominess is always welcome - who wants hot fabric that clings?

As the shirt is cotton homespun, I thought it might look like a bit of old sheet without a bit of care, so I did quite a lot of top stitching to make the shirt look a little more sporty.

Topstitching across collar, and a flat fell seam on yoke.

Topstitching on collar and collar facing, front band and yoke.

Back dart topstitched.

Front dart topstitched.
Sleeve finish and also sleeve head topstitched.
Buttonhole - not automatic but operator skill (me!) on an old Bernina 217n.
So that is New Look 6963.  Here are a few more pictures - more to reassure myself that when worn casually it will be alright.






Quite enough of me I think.  I do think this will be an okay wearable muslin though.

I'll move on to the pattern review now.


Pattern used:  New Look 6963 Version C.

Pattern Description - A shirt with collar variations -either a collar of collar band. Blouse has a yoke and a semi-fitted front with dart only.   The back has two versions - one is darted and the other has a pleat.  The shirt comes with sleeve variations - sleeves, short with cuff, elbow length gathered, and roll up with tab. 

Did it look like the drawing/photograph on the pattern envelope - Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow - Yes, except I tweaked the top stitching at collar and facing.

Fabric used - Cotton homespun.

Pattern alterations or changes you made - I cut out size 8 and that was still a little large across my back.  I shortened the bodice by an inch as I am a short waisted petite.

Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others? - Yes

Conclusion - a lovely little shirt to add as a wardrobe basic.  I will make it again, with a few modifications to improve the fit.

My additional remarks:  A good shirt for casual weekends.

Does it go with 2 or 3 other garments I already own? - Yes, a plain white blouse goes with most things I wear.

That's it for this post :)

Sarah Liz

22 comments:

  1. Sarah Liz, I think it's pretty and sweet! And all that topstitching!!! I realize that my plastic sewing machine is not sewing as straight as it should be.... and it is not just me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, you are very competent and talented at what you do, so I am sorry your machine is not sewing well - that is a limitation and a frustration.

      Delete
  2. You made it very nicely fitting for a loose blouse, I like that a lot. It looks neat and pretty, great fabric for when it's so warm as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise, thank you - yes, I do like to choose fabrics for the climate, and I do like classic simple lines that stand the test of time. Hope you are keeping well.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a good fit from my vantage point. Crisp, clean, classic. Everything a white shirt should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gwen - I thought this was the ideal sort of pattern for a classic summer shirt.

      Delete
  4. Nothing like a crisp, white top to add to the wardrobe and it's even better when crafted yourself! Love this top. I am sure you will get a lot of wear out of it...I know I would!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you - yes, this is shirt I have needed for a long time and will get worn a lot.

      Delete
  5. At the end of last year SewRuth (http://sewruth.blogspot.co.uk) nominated my blog for a blogger award. It has taken me a while to pass on the accolades, but I'm delighted to let you know that I've nominated your blog in my list of nominees. Please head on over to Sally Sews Something (http://sallysewssometing.co.uk) to pick up your award.... and thanks for all the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, I'll do that soon - and thank you. It will also be a pleasure getting to know you.

      Delete
  6. Your shirt is so crisp and nice. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love a clean stylish white shirt - super work on all the topstitching...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, so do I - I hope to make another one or two this year.

      Delete
  8. Very nice shirt. I think it looks great - certainly much better than a wearable muslin. Tweak the next one for perfect fit but I think it is great as it is. We are much more critical of fit when we have sewn it ourselves. Love all of your top stitching. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay - isn't that the truth, we are always more critical of our own work.

      Delete
  9. great job!I'm never sewn one of the New Look patterns, do they tend to run true to size?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen - I find that all pattern companies have their own sort of sizing and working out how your size and shape fits into the pattern's size and shape takes some figuring out. I think this year I better write some posts about what I have found out over the years, especially as some of us are all going to sew our own wardrobes this year.

      Delete
  10. That is a great top. White tops are essential in all wardrobes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, aren't they just. I need to make a few more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crisp and sleek! Fine looking shirt on you, SarahLiz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful top... perfect for summer
    http://www.mogulinteriordesigns.com/category/76618233881/1/Top-Blouse.htm

    ReplyDelete