Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bespoke mending and Eco-stashing

Back to sewing today after my excellent physio (thank you Jennie)  restored my sore back to a less painful state - which is better for sewing!  I started today with mending my husband's nightshirt.  Every so often, the last button tears a hole in the nightshirt - unbelievably, the facing has no interfacing!  So, it's not surprising that the button tears a hole after some wear.  When this happens, I am called upon for some assistance.

The first step is to remove the button:

Now you can see the hole - next I open up the facing and apply a bit of interfacing to it :


(I always keep scraps of interfacing in a bowl ready for these sorts of jobs)



I flip the interfacing back and get my bear trim (an op- shop find) already pre-shrunk the night before:


I apply this to the nightshirt - I don't mind if the result is a little homespun looking - it adds to the charm of the patching  (this is my way of saying I really don't like mending, but I'm going to pretend otherwise).

Voila!  Button sewn back in place.

I thought I had finished, but when I buttoned up the nightshirt, I found that the buttonhole was unravelling.  So, I decided that I better attend to that as well.  I decided on using buttonhole stitch around the top half of the buttonhole.  When I grew up, I only had a very basic machine that could only straight stitch - so I learnt to finish all my garments by hand.  Probably not high couture, but useful skills non the less - herringbone stitch, overcasting stitch , and buttonhole stitch were all in my early repertoire.  It's years since I've done one, so I'm a bit out of practice:
Of course, we can sew for pleasure, but I can remember my mother sewing for necessity - darning socks, turning sheets sides to middle, darning everything and making everything.  Sewing was such a vitally important skill, so I think we home sewers should be very proud that we are maintaining a tradition.  It's also heartening to see younger people turning to sewing as a creative outlet which will help keep the skills alive.

Then I spent half an hour or so on my eco-stash for muslins - when my husband's shirts that are showing signs of wear around the collars and cuffs (which in my mother's day were removed and turned around - so unbelievably fiddly),  I nab them and cut off the buttons for my button stash, and cut of the collar and cuffs, and trim out the seams, leaving useful pieces of fabric for future muslins/toiles/ pocket facings etc. Seems silly to throw perfectly good fabric in the bin when it can have another use.

There we are, my nice neat Eco-Stash.

Well, I'm off to tweak the muslin I am making for the fitted blouse contest on PR.  I'm off to work soon, so I'll probably have progress to report on the weekend.  Have a great day/evening, where ever you are.

Sarah Liz :)


No comments:

Post a Comment