Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Exercise Pants

This week I only managed to make a very basic pair of elastic waist pants.  As I am in the sew your own wardrobe for a year challenge (sewyourownwardrobeforayearchallenge.blogspot.com )  I am endeavouring to make everything I need.  I did plan to make some trousers for work but I lost sewing time this week.

I needed a pair of stretch and comfortable trousers for exercising in, so I decided to make those instead.  I don't like yoga pants as they tend to fall down on me with my straight build.  I need things firmly anchored at the waist.  So I made a pair of elastic waist trousers from an old Palmer Pletsch out of print pattern.


I made them out of stretch cotton twill that had been having a good old snooze in my stash for some time.

I didn't spend much time fitting them as they are really not "going out" trousers.   It really was cut, sew and go.

Which was all I had time for this week in any case.

Front view
Back view

And here they are in action:

Pants stay up
Pants allow movement
Lots of room to move.
Just add shoes for walking.
Although these are simple elastic waist trousers, they are smart enough to use for walking as well.

And, as I can't really tell the front from the back easily - without checking crotch lengths - I put a little thread marker in the back of the pants so I can easily see which way to put them on.






Every little helps when you are dressing in a hurry!

Have a good sewing weekend, wherever you are.

Sarah Liz :)


23 comments:

  1. Good idea with the marker at the back.
    I bought my daughter a top that was made from breathable fabric, she says she could tell the difference, and Id love to make her leggings to match but I cannot find the same fabric, here in the UK. Sometimes I have to admit defeat and buy a pair. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used to mark garments this way. I understand the frustration - we too have a very limited range of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One pair of pants in a week is fine! Some weeks it's very hard to find time for anything extra at all... These pants look incredibly practical - better to have made one pair of pants that you know you'll use lots than - say - two or three extravagant wadders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comfortable and still smart, that's the way to go :) I got the same exercise ball in blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elis, yes, you know me, practical but smart. Exercise balls are fun aren't they?

      Delete
    2. Yup they're fun! It's much easier to exercise for me with that ball, I use it for support so I can't overstrain and it helped me with my back :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, they are good for back exercises. Glad it helped you.

      Delete
  5. Great pants ..so proud you had time to sew them.. Some times the simple/quick projects are the best.. and we have to have them kind of clothes too..
    They look great on you.. and the fit is great..
    Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you ! I agree, we do need the simple, practical, quick clothes for quite a bit of our lives.

      Delete
  6. Sarah you are the busiest sewer I know. Great job on the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm busy sewing at the moment because I had to put it aside for a couple of years, so I'm having a catch up!

      Delete
  7. cute pants Sarah! I use ribbon or twill tape or scraps in the back also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. What a good idea about the ribbon/twill/scraps in the back.

      Delete
  8. Adorable pants. I use ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pants are nice and have stood the test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy - garments are only useful to me if they can stand proper wearing!

      Delete
  10. They look nice and comfy. I love the idea of putting something on the back to identify it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley - yes they are! (I like comfort in clothes).

      Delete
  11. Hey Sarah - Fabulous idea to make some exercise pants! Anything to get me motivated...pants for exercising. Looks like you got a good work out in...or was it all staged (lol)? Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you - and I could touch my toes easily for the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,

    This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and this post. Thanks!

    Exercise clothes

    ReplyDelete