Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Garment Retrospective.

The season's are changing both down under and up there where some of you are.  And some of you live in climates that do not change very much.  So that means we blogging sewists can see all sorts of garments for all sorts of climates all year round.  Sort of a Do-It -Yourself  Sewing Style Roundup.  That is the best part of blogging - seeing what you have all made.

This year, despite best intentions - you know the sort of thing - the delusion that you can make one garment every day and have an entire wardrobe of gorgeous things in under two weeks- I have made 5 garments.   All with some degree of frustration (familiar to many of you :) as I have not sewn for a few years.

I started sewing in January and have made a few basic garments.  Two are white shirts which can be worn with anything.  I have made two pairs of trousers, and two skirts.

I like being able to mix and match my clothes so that I can actually wear them.

My sewing priorities were to sew clothes that filled that gap in my wardrobe (and you probably have a similar gap) called Everyday Clothes for Around the House.  Nothing super fashionable, but certainly ideal for casual wear at home.  I can also wear some of the garments out as well:


I started the year with my "Blog Skirt" - here is the front view:


 I wanted to develop a pattern that would fit me reasonably well and still have room to move.  The fabric  is a stretch cotton sateen.  I made it for the cooler weather that is about to come.

And, the back view:

I can wear it with lots of t-shirts (I have plenty in black) and also with a jumper.  I can wear a cardigan or a jacket with it.  I could wear it to the office, or out, and casually.  A great multi purpose skirt.


I also made trousers, with tears of frustration along the way.  I could not get a jeans pattern to fit me well, and as some of you know, I am now working on my own sloper - there will be more to this story later this year, believe me.  Anyway, here are the black pair I thought would have to go in the bin!


Well, really, quite okay for the house - and with pockets!  I love pockets.  So useful.

So, sometimes we sewists are a little harsh and critical of our own efforts.  They are not perfect, and I wouldn't wear them out, but they are quite fine for casual at home.  The sort of thing you slouch on and enjoy.

See, quite okay for that type of use.

And, I can wear my classic white short sleeve cotton shirt with them.

I also made up some fabric in my stash, which just happened to be Pantone's colour of the year - Emerald.

Again, I thought they were quite dreadful to begin with.  The trouser pattern was one that I traced and adapted some years ago - from memory, it was a McCalls pattern - I will have to check my stash one day.  I was rather busy then, and I need to revisit and tweak these pants further to eliminate some of the fitting problems.  Partly I am always going to have some bagginess because I have very slender  limbs.  I'm comfortable with that.  Really skin tight trousers look awful on me - I just have two thin twig legs poking out from under the top - not really a great look.  Sometimes you just have to work with the body you have and make the most of it.

And, the classic white cotton blouse looks good with the pants.

I also made a little cotton skirt, black with very small polka dots.  Just a cheapish craft cotton.



Once again I can wear the skirt with the classic white cotton blouse.

(Yes, okay, I've got great legs, not thin twig legs - and I agree, I should make more of them, but I'm a gamin, so I don't give a great deal of thought to making the most of my assets.  Maybe I should change that! :) )

(I think I am going to have to make a few more white blouses - one blouse to three bottoms is not a great ratio!) 

(and, isn't is interesting, fellow sewists, how much sleep we lose agonising over aspects of our sewing, which, in the morning light, aren't really so bad.  Or only a little bit problematic - a rung on the ladder to future sewing success).

And, my piece de resistance this year, the fitted wrap blouse I made for the Fitted Blouse contest on Pattern Review.  Here it is:





It was quite a challenge to get a good fit, but worth it in the end.  I have written a review about this pattern - you can find it by visiting www.sewing.patternreview.comThere are lots of other entries as well, all of them fantastic!

Tomorrow a new challenge - I have joined the www.sewyourownwardrobeforayearchallenge.blogspot.com.

This challenge starts tomorrow - some of you are already in it (really looking forward to seeing you sewing projects and getting to know you).

Sarah Liz :)








24 comments:

  1. You have built up quite a selection there. Looking great. Love that skirt. Hadn't seen it before. I will have to look at the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have been on a sewing spree - these all look super. Could I ask where you find the best places for fabric down your way...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Judith, yes I have. I don't have much in the way of fabric shops near me - just good old Spotlight. I am going to venture online when I have decreased my stash.

      Delete
  3. It's not only six garments already, but also completely adjusted patterns! Which will save you loads of time in the future. And all your new clothes are lovely (I'm especially a fan of your contest blouse) and fit great. Good luck on the sew your wardrobe for one year challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Elise, thank you. I will probably slow down now! I was keen to get these garments done as they had been on the waiting list for ages. I want to enjoy the process more now!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this and I agree with your view about the challenges/frustrations at times. You are doing a great job of SWAP. I like that your pieces are interchangeabe. It's hard to focus when there are so many patterns, types of fabrics, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dorothy, and thank you. I'll do more of this sort of post as I sew garments. It is hard to focus, I agree, so many choices.

      Delete
  5. Your pieces are all so nice and each adds to this mini wardrobe. My attempts to sew a wardrobe get sidetracked by fabric choices as I love prints. Your choices here all read as solids. Wonderful work and flattering pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary, and thank you. Yes I did choose solid colours here, because these garments are basics. In due course, I'll add some patterns. Luckily we don't have a wonderful choice of patterns here, so I can't get too sidetracked.

      Delete
    2. PS. by patterns I meant patterned fabrics, ie prints, not patterns as in paper patterns>

      Delete
  6. Nothing beats a white shirt - and perfect with your emerald trousers. Lovely work, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you've created is a group of wearables that can be mixed and matched with...um...EVERYTHING! =) I think what you've done is fabulous. You're right in that we are our own worst critics. I'm learning to let it go and move on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, thank you, and yes, it was my intention to have everything go with everything else! It's not easy letting go, I struggle with it most days! :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely work, I really like you white blouses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina, I must make more later this year.

      Delete
  9. What a great collection, looking forward to see your pieces in the challenge. I hope this year I try my hand to make skirts, pants and jackets. I know they won't be perfect this year, but just need the courage to start somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Far, and thank you. Please have the courage to try your hand with skirts, pants, jackets. That is the only way to learn. Small baby steps, perhaps a skirt first, they are quite simple.

      Delete
  10. I think you have done a wonderful job. Love all the things your making.. and what a wonderful white blouse.. and I love the wrap one too. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the wrap blouse seems to be a favourite. Thanks for visiting, I'm going to visit your blog now.

      Delete
  11. You've made some seriously great pieces and it took me 6 months to get a pants pattern to work so I can safely say you've done a top job on bottoms.
    Congratulations on taking up the sewing challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, classic pants I don't have much of a problem with, its the jeans type that are low rise, that I don't seem to get on with!

      Delete
  12. Wow! Your hard work has really paid off. I love both of the white shirts and I want them,so keep your closet locked. LOL I think all of your pieces are a success. I'm looking forward to more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa, thank you - I think we will all have to organise a wardrobe/closet swap one day, as everyone's made themselves garments are so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete