Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Last of the sunny weather trousers.


Hello everybody - I hope the start of this week finds you all well and in good sewing spirits.  Its the only thing that helps with the humdrum tedium of the everyday sometimes! (I've had a quite a bit of the humdrum today...)

Down under in OZ we are coming into our autumn/winter season - at least, in the southern part of Australia.  The Top End of  Australia is like the Bottom End of the United States of America - a warm climate.

Over the last day or so I have hastily made up my last pair of trousers for realistically next spring/summer.  The idea is that I will have a few basics with which to start next season, so that is what I have been working on over the last few months.

I'd like to thank you for your lovely comments on my Garment Retrospective.  I'll reply to all your comments of course, but I thought you had all made some interesting points that could work for all of us as we attempt to co-ordinate our wardrobes.

  • I did make a mix and match wardrobe of interchangeable garments.
  • I intend to add to it during our next spring/summer season.
  • It is easy to get sidetracked by prints, fabrics, and patterns.  
  •  I agree - I tend to stick to classic cuts and neutral colours (the odd bright garment to enliven things) as the basis of my wardrobe.
So often, we sewists do fall in love with absolutely everything. I know I do.  I have a huge stash of both fabrics and patterns and wild flights of fantasy about making them all. Which is of course impossible.

So I have to ground myself to some sort of action plan, or I would just go round and round in circles trying to make up my mind what to choose and make!

And make things that do not go with anything else.

Have you done the same?


My New White Trousers:

 

I used my traced pattern from a pattern that I think might have been a McCalls one.  From memory, it was
McCalls M5239. 

MCalls M5239.

 I have just labelled the tracings "classic trousers" so I am not sure.  When I next decide to make them up I'll lay them on this pattern and see if this is what I used.

Anyway, whatever I used,  this was the result:

 
Front of pants

 I used cotton drill, which unfortunately creases a lot.  But it is cool, and I live in a warm, humid climate.

I am also using fabric in my stash - when I have used up some more, then I will buy a better quality fabric - thank goodness for online stores - where I live it is not easy to get quality fabrics, so on-line shopping will be the way to go.

I'm digressing, so, before I digress further, back to the pants:

Back of pants.
Still a few vertical wrinkles, but then I think the problem is my slim legs!

But, at least I can move in them - which is useful when you are shopping, doing housework and all those other humdrum jobs of the everyday.

So that is the end of my summer season sewing.

Time to start the cooler weather sewing.

And time to start the sew your own wardrobe for a year challenge.



 


The link for this challenge is www.sewyourownwardrobeforayearchallenge.blogspot.com

That's it for today - Happy Sewing, where ever you are.

Sarah Liz :)



13 comments:

  1. Love your pants - white is such a great colour to go with your wardrobe! They look super comfy...
    Wardrobe Challenge kicked off today - it is going to be a great year ahead. Fingers crossed we can all stick to it...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith - thank you! - and yes, they are super comfy, I tend to like that sort of thing!

      Yes, it is going to be a good challenge. I'll bet we find that our perceptions regarding clothes will also be challenged.

      Crossing fingers...

      Delete
  2. Nice pants SarahLiz - looks nice and cool and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genial! These pants fit very well on you!! I'm intrigued by the challenge of sewing our wardrobe for a year .... although I took some years sewing my own wardrobe already ... I'll snoop around ... thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosy, thank you, and I must have a look at your blog and self sewn wardrobe as well.

      Delete
    2. Rosy, I have looked at your blog and do like your style. :)

      Delete
  4. These are a great addition to your wardrobe. Glad I'm not the only one trying to sew down their stash :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it funny how we all have one!

      Delete
  5. Nice pants! They are comfy looking and casual...I like them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, yes they are comfy and casual - we all need comfy and casual (but still smartish)in our wardrobes.

      Delete
  6. Those are nice summer pants! I hope you're having a nice soft autumn so that you can wear them before it gets too cold.

    ReplyDelete