Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Weekly Chat, and Welcome to New Followers.




Hello Everyone,

It's Sunday afternoon again, the time when I sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee and write my blog post and read yours as well.

And on Sunday's post I always welcome my new followers - and this week I would like to welcome Mary from SewFast, Juliet, Rhonda and Kat.  I look forward to getting to know you all, both on my blog and yours.   I also welcome my two new BlogLovin followers - unfortunately I have not received an email from Bloglovin  about you,  so I am not sure who you are, but welcome nonetheless :-)

This week I have written about my stash, and about colour analysis and about my wadder wannabes.  There were lots of lovely comments on all of these posts, and I have, I hope, replied to all of you.  But I would also like to add one or two more points here.

STASHING AND HOARDING


It seems that most of us have rather extensive fabric stashes and pattern hoards(to say nothing of all the sewing ideas buzzing around in our heads).  Some of us are organised and some of us aren't.  I'm in the organised school, but not as organised as some sewers who keep records of their projects, pattern and fabric used,date made and so on.   I aspire to this level of order, I have to admit!  I do think I should attempt a sustained attack on the stash, and use my patterns, because it does seem a shame to think that the stash and pattern hoard will still be sitting neatly collected and catalogued while I am perhaps no longer around.  It's time, in short, to get serious about sew-styling the stash.  I'll share more about this in tomorrow's post. 

COLOUR FOR YOU

Lots of you have enjoyed these posts as well, and have expressed an interest in learning more.  Over the next few weeks I will discuss colour more fully, because I have only introduced one system of colour analysis here.  If you are interested in the colour posts, just look for the image above.

THE WEEK OF WADDERS
 

 I'd like to thank all of you for your long comments about my three wadders this week.  There is a lot to think about in all that you have said.

In no specific order, I shall try and address some of the points discussed.  First, to the person who liked the fact that I posted my wadders - I will always do this, for a few reasons.  One is that we all have these problems, so it is reassuring to know that others also hit sewing snags.  The other is I like to share what I learn in case you find it useful as well.  I frequently learn lots from your blogs, so it is good to be able to reciprocate.

Two of you commented that pants patterns  seem to be quite problematic as far as fit is concerned. It was pointed out, quite reasonably, that all bodies are quite different.  It was also pointed out that while our own  body may have changed (age related changes) patterns also  seem to have changed because these problems did not seem to occur so much years ago.  Now, I tend to agree with this.  I never had too much problem years ago, nor was there so much focus on making muslins for every garment.  Some of you may remember the old Vogue Designer Originals (complete with label).  I started my sewing life with these - and basically, I just cut them out and away I went.  Beautifully details garments, fitted well, and were a pleasure to wear.  I do sometimes wonder if patternmakers are less closely connected with what the body looks like nowadays.  I have noticed all sorts of things creep in which seem to be considered "correct fit" nowadays, but aren't.  For instance, the forward shoulder seam on blouse patterns and various other garments nowadays.  The shoulder seam is actually supposed to run along the top of the shoulder.  I sometimes wonder if basic principles have been forgotten (perhaps not even understood) for some notion of what somebody thinks "looks good".   Of course, these are just my thoughts and hard to test objectively, but it is interesting to read that others also have problems with modern patterns as well.

Some of you encouraged me to stay the course with one of these pants.  While I think that can be a good idea,  what I am attempting to do (now - probably not then, when I made them!) is get a basic shape that works for me and then use the pattern of my choice and superimpose the two to get a good fitting muslin straight away.  I don't want to keep re-inventing the wheel - like many of you, I don't have the time or the resources to do that - we all have other demands in life, be that family, caring for others, work and study).  While muslins work in the fashion industry (you would want to test a garment before a production run of 1,000's), I am wondering if there is a more effective way for those of us trying to fit in sewing around a busy life.

When I have found it, I will share it with all of you, of course.  That is the point and purpose of my blog. 

I have been working over the weekend on the master muslin for my pants.  It's based on my old TNT which was rather hastily utilised some years ago, and needs a few tweaks.  I think I am close to the final shape now.    Will share when I have news.  And then go back to the wadders and rethink them by redrafting the pattern of my choice superimposed on my sloper. 


Thank you for sharing all your sewing moments with me - it seems we all have sewing weeks that are tedious and where everything goes wrong.  I guess sharing this with each other makes us all feel a little more like keeping going, knowing we are all in very good company indeed!

And A Very  Big Thank You to those of you who commented that my sewing skills are good. It's my goal to try to learn and improve, of course.

Do all have a very good week, wherever you are, and I hope you stay  safe and healthy.

Sarah Liz :-)

P.S.  I'll also be doing my regular Wednesday post on Guidelines to Form, Style and Colour in 1928.



8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're still working on finding the best fit for your pants. I totally agree with you - I don't feel like I should have to make a muslin each time I try a new pattern. My sewing time is limited - at best. That's why when I find a pattern that works, I just keep making it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey, yes, I do keep going once I hit a block! I think you have got the right approach - I have one skirt I just keep remaking, in different fabrics. Sometimes I just risk it with a new pattern and skip the muslin!

      Delete
  2. You've been working so hard this week, and I'd have loved to see one of those trouser patterns work. But I knew you are working on making a pattern for them yourself, and I have all the faith that that will be perfect when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise - I will get one of them to work out - I'll go back and rethink them in due course. I'm not used to working with stretch, so the work is not wasted because I have learnt things I wouldn't otherwise have learnt. That's what I tell myself, anyway :-)

      Delete
    2. It's always nice to keep a positive mind ;) And you'll put what you've learnt to good use I bet. I'm glad you're gonna make one of them to work out, it always feels nice when you've conquered a fit doesn't it?

      Delete
    3. Yes it does. I also think keeping a positive mindset is vital whatever you have to tackle in life. :-)

      Delete
  3. I find your posts so informative and inspiring. Thank you so much for taking the time to share.

    Audrey is spot on. We have limited time and making muslins for each project takes away from the time we have to sew. Though that doesn't stop me from making muslins, once I find something that fits, I make it more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi L, it's a great pleasure sharing with you all, I'm glad you like my posts.

    Yes, muslins are a time drain - and certainly the reason why we do make things more than once. I just have to challenge myself to make new things or I would stay stuck in the TNT rut and also not learn anything new.

    ReplyDelete