Sewing and Style

A blog for anyone interested in sewing their own clothes and creating a sense of personal style...


Sunday, April 28, 2013

My weekly chat and welcome to new followers.


Hello everyone

Another week has flown by both in my real world and the blogosphere.  And once again, it is that time of week when I welcome new followers.

This week I would like to welcome Ellen.  I also found two people I do not think I have welcomed before - Becky and Lynette.  My apologies.  Kristy is following me on Bloglovin, and so is someone else - I'm not sure who you are, so I can't say Hi personally.

*****

This week I talked about a sew-a-long for people that want to use more of their stash.  I have a huge stash, collected over years of dreaming about sewing but not having time to sew.  I also stash because nice fabric is hard to come by.

Many of you wish me well in this venture, but prefer to sit this one out - mostly because of the fact that people fall of the stash wagon.

Believe you me, so will I.  I think the point of this was just stash awareness and the ability to sew-a-long with no pressure with some emphasis on using some of the stash before buying more.

One person expressed interest.  That's enough for me.  Actually, just challenging myself to tackle the stash is enough for me!  I just wanted to encourage others that like to join in and need the motivation to start.  Some people love to connect, and I have to admit I do too.

So, if anyone wants to join, or has ideas for how to tackle stashes, please feel free to comment.

I'm not sure when I will officially challenge myself, but I'll let you know.

*****


Quite a few of you have enjoyed my introduction to colour analysis and there has been a request for what colours to wear from your colours as you get older.  I'll do a post on this later in the week - it may be Thursday or Friday.

I also introduced the concept of clothing personality.  I'll add to this next week, by discussing what sort of colours the different clothing personalities favour.

I also need to talk about body shape, but that may have to be the week after next.  I'll see how things go.

*****

My regular feature "Guidelines for Form, Style and Colour in 1928" will conclude this week - with a delightful look at what colours were recommended for different skin tones in 1928. It's interesting to see how these compare with the prevailing ideas.

***** 
Thank you all for your lovely comments about my recently made very practical, very comfortable walking trousers.  Sometimes we do have to make functional clothing - never of course seen in fashion magazines.  Necessary non-the-less.  It seems that is all I have done this year - fill in all those practical gaps in my wardrobe that I just can't buy given the emphasis nowadays on fast turnover, low quality fashion items.  When I have solved my practical clothing problems, then I'll move on to some more inspired sewing.  

That's it for this week - and I'm looking forward to the next one and fresh projects.

Sarah Liz :-)

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your next colour and style posts! :)

    As for stash..... I admit I rarely buy a fabric with a specific end use in mind. Rather when I take a notion I like to go and see what I have that might fit what I want to do.

    I got a bit carried away on ebay last summer and picked up a few nice material bargains, including the fabric I made my first dress from....

    Trouble is with this method there are always off cuts remaining. So I'll need to find ways to use up all the itty bitty bits too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally - I think most of us buy fabric this way, and always have half a yard/metre left over. These bits are handy for inside pockets, bindings, all sorts of things.

      Delete
  2. Hi, the using up your stash sew a long, sounds great to me.. I will join in.. I have entirely too much stash.. ha I missed when you posted about it, I will have to look back and see what the guidelines are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am just reposting, there are no guidelines yet, just "join in and use what you have for what you want to make".

      Delete
  3. Stash Awareness I Love The Sound If It! Must Have Missed That Post, So Am Scooting Over To Check It Out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, I have replied to you on that post, so looking forward to checking out your jacket in due course.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah! Thanks for your message and yes to all your questions. Apart that is from the bit about the swap, which I haven't quite figured out how to work it yet. I wondered about gathering them all together and then getting bids for each, then if there's more than one for each, doing a draw at that stage, but making sure that everyone who's contributed gets something... but if you have any ideas, then just let me know. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I will email details and photo to you tomorrow :-)

      Delete
  5. How coincidental - I just did a project out of my stash!

    Just thought I would let you know that I have really been enjoying your blog. I nominated you for a Liebster award :)

    You can see the post here:

    http://mezmerina.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/jordan-israel-and-liebster-awards.html

    Great to be part of the sewing community!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thank you very much - I'm glad you enjoy my blog. Popping over to see yours now - I didn't know about you before, and it is always lovely to meet a new sewing blogger.

    ReplyDelete