Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Saturday's Skirt.


 This is my weekend skirt made out of stretch cotton sateen and it has occupied much of my time this week.

As usual, I cannot tell you what pattern it was, because I use a tracing that I made some years ago - the labelling is a little lacking in detail and just says straight skirt.   It has a split at the back and is really very quick and simple to make up.

Front View



Back View

The weather in the part of OZ where I live is changing. We are in Autumn, which is quite mild but can get cool at both ends of the day.  This skirt is useful for the sunnier days with a top and also useful in winter as it can be worn with tights.   A good transitional piece. 

With sewing time being at a premium, I have to make pieces that are able to be used on a daily basis, and that also go with other garments I already own or plan to make pretty quickly.  But, if you are like me, we all know what happens with sewing plans - they tend to remain just that sometimes! 


Warmer days
As it gets quite cool in the mornings and evenings  footless tights can be quite handy to keep legs a little warmer.  And just toss on a cardigan and you are quite warm enough again.

Cooler days
As the weather gets cooler, it can be worn with a jumper and warm tights.



 With shoes or with boots:  


And with a padded jacket and scarf when it gets much colder.



 I wish all of you the very best wherever you are and happy sewing :)

Sarah Liz





22 comments:

  1. Love your skirt. The fabric is lovely. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you BeaJay. Skirts are quite quick and easy to make, great break from fitting muslins :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this skirt. And I love how you planned ahead for the changing weather.. And this wonderful skirt can go for looks. Beautiful.. Great fit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I do like to think about how I can wear things as much as possible - in a practical fabric, that looks good as well. Not always successful, though!

      Delete
  4. The skirt is wonderful. I love the pattern, and I love the flats you show to be worn with it. You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, glad you liked the post:)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful skirt - you will wear it heaps in all of our seasons! Love the pop of teal blue in the fabric ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, yes we are lucky enough not to have extremes of temperature. The teal does pop, doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. That's a great little skirt, and what an interesting abstract print!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're looking good in that skirt! It's such a pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise, thank you - the fabric is pretty and so it is easy to look good in it!

      Delete
  8. I love your wardrobe! Your collection reminds me of a series of wardrobe articles written by Nancy Nix-Rice. In her writings, she speaks of creating wardrobe columns in neutral colours and then adding extra pieces as coordinates. I can see your white blouses fitting in nicely with this collection. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, thank you! Yes, I do try to think about a wardrobe plan, and I do try to co-ordinate things with each other. Will blog more about this in later months.

      Delete
  9. Love the skirt and all the other pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please send me this skirt...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, where oh where did you find that fabric!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it years ago in a shop here in Oz called Spotlight.

      Delete
  12. Love the skirt and its various styling options...it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aisha, thank you - glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete