Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Weekend Walking Trousers



After last week's run of wannabe muslin wadders (total of 3) I decided it was time to break from muslins and actually make something.

(Of course I am still working on the muslin project, and have one made that is FINALLY nearly okay.  I'm going to do another of course, and then I think I will have a master shape to work with. I do not easily give up).

These trousers are not quite TNT trousers, but as near as I could get them to be while I was studying.  I used McCalls M5239. I can't remember what size I used originally - I've been working off a tracing which has nearly disintegrated. 

McCalls M5239

I used a stretch cotton twill - I also used a piece of this same fabric for my exercise pants.  I am not used to working with stretch fabrics for pants, so decided that using it for a pattern I was already familiar with was a good idea so that I could see how the fabric sits and handles, and also  how much ease is required when compared to woven non stretch fabrics.

As I plan to use these trousers for walking holidays and may be wearing thermals underneath, I wasn't too concerned with altering the amount of ease for stretch this time around in any case.

As these were casual pants, I also enjoyed top stitching the zip- I did a double row of stitching:


I also enjoyed top stitching the pockets and did a false flat fell seam on the side seams:



I took pictures of me wearing the trousers  earlier today when the weather was quite warm. Unfortunately, only the front view photo is viewable - the others are all very dark.


So, this afternoon, I took this lot to show you the side and back.  I also took another front view:

Side view
For those of you who have been reading my posts on colour analysis, I am also giving a very good demonstration of what happens if you wear a high neck black polo neck when black is not a colour that suits you.  I'm looking drained and a lot older, with a lot more shadows, hollows and wrinkles than normally show in my photos.

I often wear a black t-shirt for photos, but always with a crew neckline - not right under my face.  At least with a lower neckline, the colour of your skin reflects back into your face. 


Front view
These trousers are quite roomy and stretchy, and are probably a bit too full in the front.  Unfortunately, I have quite a high round tummy and very high hips (with long legs for my height), so if trousers are extremely fitted around the lower hip, then the tummy area is very prominent.  My new muslin is starting to look good though.

The  back view is not too bad:

Back view
 In a couple of weeks I will be talking about body shapes - I am an inverted triangle/rectangle - my waist hip ratio is small, and my shoulders are larger than my hips.  I also have long, slim limbs.

And here are the completed trousers, worn with my cold weather jacket - I left that open, because it isn't cold here yet...

Front View:



And: Back View:
These trousers are extremely comfortable which is what you want when you go on a walking weekend.  I'm not so worried about how baggy they might be, but whether they are comfortable to wear for a long time - with room for the thermals if need be.

That's it for now - have a lovely weekend:-)

Sarah Liz

20 comments:

  1. That's a very nice pair of trousers! The topstitching looks so even. It must be so nice to have a pattern that you know will work and go from there when trying out different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise, thank you, and yes it is - I'm still working on the final shape though.

      Delete
  2. the pants look great on you Sarah!great finish!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good SarahLiz! Thanks for the tips about black turtleneck versus crew-neck styles. I'm learning so much from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, thank you, I'm glad you get something out of my posts :-)

      Delete
  4. Your walking pants look really good on you.. and you did a great job on the top stitching. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look good, and thanks for the demo on color. I have the same pants pattern, and have used it once. I should probably pull it out and give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes it's not the most fashionable pattern, but it's good to get a basic pant/fit from.

      Delete
  6. Hi there and thanks for the comment n my blog. The 'meet up' for want of a better term is just meant to be a 'virtual' one for a bit of fun. It's on the blog only. I haven't any experience of doing this, so I don't know if it's a common thing to do or not? The idea is to send a photo of yourself and some info of what you might want to swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marguerite, I'll pop over to your blog to chat to you about this again. It sounds fun, so I'm in :-)

      Delete
  7. Great pants Sarah Liz. Fab fit and I love the stitching work you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BJ, Thanks ;-). I just love topstitching, I could spend all day doing it. Not sure why...!

      Delete
  8. These look so much more comfortable than your muslins! I agree that it's nice to have roomier pants for more active days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kat, yes they are - and comfort is the key for active wear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to highly compliment you on your pants fitting efforts. I think you are doing a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Faye, I'm getting there. I'm reworking that pattern and it is even more "my shape". :-)

    ReplyDelete