Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Also Making a Muslin



Simplicity 4032
The 2013 Style the Stash Sew A Long starts tomorrow on the 1st June.  For those of you new to this blog, this is a small sew-a-long for stashists and stashaholics who want some encouragement to use their stashes.  To see what we are up to, visit: www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com


I really need to make a basic casual wardrobe capsule and thought I would start with a casual jacket.

This pattern is sized for knits and  I am going to use a lightweight polar fleece.  I'm not that familiar with sewing knits so I am going to make up a muslin first out of the scraps left over from the warm cosy pants.

I also don't know how Simplicity's sizes work with my shape, so that is another good reason to test the pattern.

Although it's not fun, I traced the pattern pieces in the size I wanted - that way, if I am way off track, I still have the pattern to retrace in another size.
Facing traced off and cut
I have marked the waistline on back and side front pieces with a tacked line so that I can assess where this sits on my body.
Waistline marked in a wobbly tacking!
Now I'm ready to sew the muslin.  I find muslin's quite boring to make, so I think that is why I also want to make up my instant gratification pants (see yesterday's post).

Ready to Sew...

I hope to have this made by early next week, ready to make up the "Real Thing".

Happy Sewing everyone, where ever you are :)

Sarah Liz




13 comments:

  1. I'm sure a polar fleece jacket will be beautifully warm and cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks a versatile pattern you are using, I must take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has variations, but it is for stretch fabrics :)

      Delete
  3. I do like that pattern, and must go take a look myself! Muslins can be tedious, but it pays off in the end. Looking forward to your finished jacket. Do you have a fabric picked out yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrea, it is a nice jacket - I am using bits of polar fleece left over from other projects, and am planning to make the jacket in polar fleece. The pattern is for knit fabrics.

      Delete
  4. Sarah, have fun with the polar fleece. I go on binges with it sometimes. It's great to sew and hell to clean up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, yes, I can feel a binge coming on, but I'm going to resist it - too many other fabrics in the stash to use before I go and stash up on polar fleece. It is a messy fabric - trails all through the house.

      Delete
  5. Love this type of collar :) you know, I've never worked on polar fleece, or whatever fleece before... never marked my waist line either! Probably coz I only ever make to my stuff.... Will try that when I make a muslin next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Far - your "stuff" always works though - I'm just coming to grips with polar fleece and its quite easy to work with - it can be quite thick though, so you may need to test your machine first and see how it handles the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Think I Meant To Type Flowy Stuff... Lol... Was Typing With The Kindle And They Dont Have Screwy Font Like This Mobile With Blogspo Comments, But The Do Love To Force Words On You!Its The Auto Spell Corrector Or Something. And yeah Flowy StUff always Work For Me. Its Safer....

      Delete