The main goal for the Petite is to create the illusion of height while at the same time not overwhelming the figure with too much fullness or fabric.
Petites often have problems being taken seriously, so these guidelines are also useful in situations where you want to create more authority in your persona.
WHAT TO WEAR
- One colour from head to feet will create length and proportion and give you a better silhouette.
- Dark neutrals head to toe will make you look taller and thinner.
- You will need slightly shorter tops and jackets. Make sure that jackets do not go below the hips. Items with detail under the bust will create a better proportion.
- Transparent fabric (chiffon, mesh and so on) is good for layering without adding bulk - thus keeping the lines of the body.
- Patterns with vertical lines, or garments with vertical seams will add the illusion of height.
- Legs are not very long, so hemlines must take this into consideration. Shorter lengths look good. If floor length, add a slit to allow the eye to move up - this gives the legs some length.
- Wear slim leg pants (trousers) as this adds length to the legs.
- Pants and jeans look better sitting slightly higher on the waist as this lengthens legs.
- No hipster pants and no cuffs at the hem - legs look shorter.
- Make sure your trousers are not too long - hems that taper into and cut of at the ankle add length. If wearing longer pants, make sure that the pants are at least half an inch of the floor.
- To look taller, wear neutral coloured shoes with heels, or peep-toe heeled shoes in the same colour as your outfit.
- Allow the neck to show as this elongates the figure. Don't wear bulky scarves around the neck.
- Look taller and slimmer by maintaining a good posture.
Sarah Liz :)