Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Warm Winter Woolly Cardigan-Jacket




I finally finished my big blue mohair cardigan jacket.  I started knitting this in January - why it took me so long to knit something on large needles I have no idea, but it did.

I used a pattern from a Paton's pattern bookn0 1213 - "Lush Classics" - it contains only patterns for mohair jumpers, cardigans and accessories.  

Cardigan with collar, jacket length
I made a jacket length cardigan with both collar and pockets. I did not make the belt as a tie belt does not suit my short waisted shape - also, knitted belts tend to stretch. 

I had to use two yarns as I was using up mohair from my stash - there was not enough to make a cardigan, even in a short length, so I purchased some wool in a similar colour and used that for 2 rows every six rows.






The second wool is a bobbly textured one, but it was the best match for weight and colour.


 I used the main colour (mohair) for pocket bands, collar and front bands, as well as the ribbing on sleeves, front and back.


My version

I look a little jaundiced in these photos - I decided to try the bathroom to take photo's in  as the light is better - but incandescent light casts a very yellow glow.

Cardigan Front

The pockets were actually easy to make, although they were the first I had ever knitted. I even managed to space the buttonholes perfectly - I also have to work hard on getting the spacing right.

Pockets and front band/buttonholes
I would not normally put my hands in the pockets as they would stretch out of shape and ruin the garment.  They are there just to put the hanky in for cold weather sniffles.

The collar

And here is the collar - again, it behaved itself - and seems to fit the neckline - sometimes things go wrong!  Mind you, I have found all the patterns in this book work well and the finished garment always looks similar to the sample garment in the book.

Warm and Cosy

So that is my new jumper - I love it - I won't wear it often as it is not cold enough where I live - but sometimes I really need a warm cardigan jacket when a westerly wind blows across, or when we go away, or when I visit relatives in Adelaide - which can get quite cold in winter - the wind comes straight off the southern ocean - and there is no land mass between Australia and Antarctica, so the wind has quite an ice chill factor.

I used all the mohair up, but now have three balls of the bobbly wool left over.  Maybe a little hat - I don't want to stash it, because it really won't go in any other garment.

Back to sewing tomorrow - sewing this woolly up was my big job this week:)

24 comments:

  1. Looks super, SarahLiz! Just perfect for our current chilly winter weather. Great idea on adding in the second colour, I actually think it gives a great effect. One colour may have looked a little 'too much' on your small frame.
    I have about 10cm left to knit up on my second arm, then sew it all together. The last sewing and band construction are my least fav part of knitting. Well, best pick up my needles and get started. What are you knitting up next???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judith - Yes I like the striped effect as well - it's nice and subtle - in real life, it adds a bit of texture as well, without adding too much :).

    The last 10 cm will quickly go - and yes, the sewing up is the bit I like least - along with the band.

    I think I'll make a little hat or cowl collar next - out of the leftover yarn from this job

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great Sarah Liz. I'm envious of you being able to wear mohair, I love the look of it, but can't even wear it with something else layered under it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam - yes, not every one can wear mohair - but I am wearing a t-shirt underneath - and if I was wearing it all day, I would tuck a scarf in to avoid mohair itch :)

      Delete
  4. great job, looks like a very useful cardi,you are going to be nice and warm this winter. Im still plodding on with the socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise - thank you - and brave you making socks - I've yet to knit a pair. Look tricky to me :)

      Delete
  5. I like it. The color is very pretty. I love to knit, and have been working on an over-sized sweater since last year! All I need to do is finish knitting up the cowl neck. I should have it done by the time winter rolls around again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, knitting takes time - you do have to start making them well ahead - do hope you get it finished :)

      Delete
  6. What a great jacket. I am in awe of those who can knit. Very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L - once you get the basics of knitting it's really very easy - and very relaxing to do :)

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous sweater.. I love the look of the stripe, how smart..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the stripes turned out better than I expected :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, that is so wonderful. I don't knit, but am tempted to learn after seeing this gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary - there are some great knitting idea out there that I am sure you would love :)

      Delete
  9. I love it! Such a pretty cardigan. I always wanted to learn how to knit but always delay with some reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana - sometimes is is not easy to learn new things, and if you are already busy it is not easy to find the time. One day ...:)

      Delete
  10. That Looks Good Sarah Liz! GReat Job Indeed! My Mom Tried Teaching Me When I Was 9 Or Thereabouts But It Didnt Work Out, All Messed Up And I Never Try Again.... Maybe One Day. I Really Want Hats And Berets.. Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far - yes, never good to have a bad first experience - but my first jumper was like that as well - all over the place. Try again one day - you can probably count better and have probably learnt a few things in life that will transfer to knitting. And starting with something simple, like scarves - then move on to a little hat - they are not hard either. Not big either, so you will get to finish one in under a decade :)

      Delete
  11. Love your cardi. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay - I love this sort of thing when it is freezing cold :)

      Delete
  12. It looks great, so nice and cosy :-)

    The left overs could also become a small cowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , yes it is nice and cosy.

      I hadn't thought of a cowl, but that would also be lovely :)

      Delete