Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

June Skirt Finished

Some of you who are following this blog may also be aware that I am facilitating the 2013 Style the Stash Sew A Long: www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com

This is a laid back sew-a-long with no rules or pledges, just a desire to sew up fabrics in the stash with other sewists.  There is a general aim to make one item a month, but if it isn't completed, the next month is okay.

We are holding this sew-a-long for another six months - so if you would like to join us please send me an email:   stylishsarah251@gmail.com.

As well as making trouser muslins over the last few weeks, I have also made a skirt.   It is from a Butterick pattern I have hoarded for years, McCall's M5335.

McCalls M5335
I've used a piece of baby wale corduroy.  It is not good quality so it was perfect to use for a test/wearable muslin.  As it is black, it is a little hard to see the detail - but it's just a plain, straight, skirt with two front darts, nothing much to really see:

Skirt Front
The back has a godet insertion, which I really like - it sort of gives a flirty flare to the back while not revealing any of your leg - and it also allows for quite a bit of movement, unlike a kick pleat.  I do tend to like skirts I can stride in without worrying about the little rip sound you can get with some kick pleats and splits...

Skirt Back
I've angled the skirt slightly and pulled the godet forward so that you can see it - otherwise it would just merge into the black.

Sarah Liz :)

18 comments:

  1. Your stash will be bare with all this sewing! I do love a corduroy skirt for winter. And that godet at the back is a lovely surprise...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, believe you me, the stash is a long wa from bare:).

      Yes, corduroy is lovely - I like velveteen as well.

      Delete
  2. Very cute! Corduroy skirts are good for winter, I love that they look good with or without tights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love wearing tights with cord skirts - so much warmer than wearing pants/trousers/jeans :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I have always loved baby corduroy. Your skirt is nice and I am sure very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect go to skirt. Great for casual days when you still want tI look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun to see the stash dwindling. I have to post my pictures on Monday. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, looking forward to your post:)

      Delete
  6. I love corduroy fabric, I have several pieces in my stash.. Hope to make some skirts, when our weather cools off.. [Right now we are hovering around 95 degrees. eeeh... no corduroy ,right now. ha.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must be warm where you are situated. It won't be long though, and you'll be making those cord skirts :)

      Delete
  7. Sarah Liz, I love corduroy. I've used uncut corduroy for a sporty outdoor jacket 2 years ago, and this year made a few riding tops with paisley corduroy. Your skirt is fabulous, and I hope you continue to use this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paisley cord would be so pretty - must look for some - Cord is like polar fleece - just so lovely in winter - yes, I'll use this pattern again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice skirt! Practical style, fabric and colour! Can wear it with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you- it is, and I like that sort of garment:)

    ReplyDelete