Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My New Polar Fleece Jacket

My new jacket - blurry, out of focus, self timed photo.
If there is one thing I don't like about blogging, it's all the pictures that you have to take of yourself wearing the garment.  It really does seem a little self obsessed.  And then, when you have downloaded the pictures, you find that they are all blurry - which you couldn't see on the little camera screen.

This is my new polar fleece jacket - I needed something to wear at places like the supermarket.  I wanted a robust sort of fabric and one that would stand up to non too precious sorts of use. Something I wouldn't have to worry about, and something that would stretch and move with activity.

Back View
That's the photo's of me mostly over with  - now on to the star of the show, the jacket itself:

I used Simplicity 4032, a pattern I had in my stash. This is an unlined jacket.  Polar fleece was one of the suggested fabrics.  I made version B without the ruffle front, and made the collar a little narrower - I used the collar from Version A as this was narrower than version B's collar.  I also wanted pockets so I added them from version C.
Simplicity 4032
I had already done a muslin so I knew the jacket would fit.  The jacket was straightforward enough to make, but the main problem for me was how to deal with the seams.  Polar fleece has a pile and if pressed, this disappears and the seam allowances press through.  I decided to trim one seam back, and flip the other over.  The flipped seam was over locked.  Then I stitched the flipped seam down.  This gives a flat fell seam look on the outside - and the trimmed seam gave a slightly ridged appearance.

The facing also needed quite a lot of thought - I had to trim the SF/Front seams and tack them down, then lay the facing piece over this, tack it down, and then top stitch ( I had over locked the facing seam).  Then I stitched in the ditch to keep the trimmed seams in the top stitched channel to give the ridged effect.

Everything else was straightforward, except for the buttonholes - I omitted these and opted for press fasteners and decorative buttons instead - the reason why is here :http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/how-not-to-ruin-jacket-at-last.html

The finished jacket

The upper back

Seam Finish
I also had to attach the pockets last as otherwise the front facing top stitching would have passed through the pockets.  This is the inside:

Inside view of front facing and pocket stitching. 

The other problem to solve was how to finish the sleeve/garment seam - two layers of bulky polar fleece do not really happily serge with my domestic serger.  So I decided to use a satin binding instead.

Satin binding on sleeve inset seam.
The press fasteners and decorative buttons

Now the obligatory shots of me wearing my me mades - and not only the jacket but also the trousers are me mades :)

My classic look - this feels like "me".
I'm sorry that the photos don't show all the details well, but they do give an idea of the shape and overall look.

This jacket was a little tedious to make because of the way I finished it, but it has been worn pretty non-stop since I finished it yesterday.  I like it ( I really like classic clothes) and would love to make another version in a better quality fabric in due course.

That's why I want to use my stash up - so I can build a new and better one.

This was also a stash busting project for the 2013 Style the Stash Sew A Long:- www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com

That's it for now,

Sarah Liz :)

13 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah..
    I love your jacket! I need this type of jacket for my everyday style.
    You have done a beautiful work and it fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hana, yes, we do need smart casual clothes for everyday - and these are often forgotten about.

      Delete
  2. looks fabulous actually. I like clothes that fit into every day life and I truly enjoy seeing people sew 'normal' clothes. well done :-)

    View C also look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it might be a little more boring sewing the basics - and might not make for such a "fashionable" blog, but most of us do live ordinary lives in the everyday, so really we should focus on making smart clothes for that work for that.

      Delete
  3. Love this fleece jacket.... might try something similar in a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to have a pretty and pretty useful garment:)

      Delete
  4. Lovely jacket - looks nice and warm. Just what we are needing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is BeaJay - hope your winter sewing is getting you warm as well.

      Delete
  5. Sarah, your jacket looks nice. I have this pattern and love the style variations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks DDD, it is a lovely pretty jacket, you will like it when you make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You actually made that yourself? Impressive! It's beautiful. I love fleece jackets, i have a few but i bought them. I'm not really good in sewing. i'm really impressed with what you've made. It's really beautiful. I really thought you got them in department stores or online stores.

    - ClothingCarnival.com

    ReplyDelete