Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

My Vintage Raincoat

The last few days have been very wet and the next few days are also going to be very wet.  Not at all to my liking.  The only bit I like is wearing my vintage raincoat - I tend to wear it all the time if the weather is rain iffy, as I happen to also like it :)


Vintage raincoat

I purchased it from a thrift shop - St Vincents de Paul, for $6.00.  I am not sure what era it is from.  the label inside say Junior Look, so I would say very early 70's.  The sizing indicates that as well.

I love the smocked look across the front and back - in reality it is not smocked but has multiple rows of stitching on elastic to give a shirred look.  The cuffs are treated the same way.  It buttons down the front:


Front detail
And here is me wearing it - I have a very practical approach to rain - dress for it, let your hair go curly (it's not going to behave well in any case when it gets wet) and wear practical shoes that keep the water out - I wear my androgynous lace ups :)


But I don't think I look androgynous at all - just well kitted out for yet another really tedious wet day :)

Now to find the umbrella...

Sarah Liz :)

10 comments:

  1. Your part of the coastline looks like it is in for a few more days of drizzly weather, so you may have to keep this beautiful coat on for a bit longer! I would love to make myself a waterproof coat, but you don't often see suitable fabric around...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is Judith, so it is firmly "out". I would like to make a raincoat as well - with a hood - like you, can't find the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it is more or less the same as here in the Netherlands - grey, rainy and chilli... It is not the summer I like... Maybe it will be good idea to make such raincoat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the same temperature too, I would suspect, although, as you say, you are supposed to be in summer. I do hope you get some sunshine befor your winter starts again.

      Delete
  4. I don't have one of these :( right now, the mountains are getting quite a bit of rain, so going out is a bit of a hassle :) I like your rain gear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - raincoats are not easy to find - but essential when it rains :)

      Delete
  5. I had to get my raincoat out again today in the UK. Luckily the weather is looking better for tomorrow as we're going to a wedding.

    Your coat is fab, and I do the same with my hair when it's raining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope it stays fine for the wedding - and that all goes well for the future bride and groom.

      Yes, it is a great coat, a very lucky find)

      Delete
  6. Your coat is wonderful.. What a great find..
    I really want to make a raincoat.. I actually bought the raincoat fabric a few months ago, but am scared to make it.ha I figure it will be hard to sew that fabric and you sure can't pick out the mistakes.ha But, maybe I will get to it, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, where did you find the fabric? I guess it will be tricky to sew - may be a good idea to check sewing references to see how best to sew it. I get scared of making things too, for fear of ruining them - and I do - but really, fabric in the stash is no use to anyone either - so I try and say that at least I am learning how to sew better, and not getting into any other sort of mischief :)

    ReplyDelete