Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

New Patterned Pants/Leggings Discussion.


Today I quickly made up my patterned pants - I based them on a one piece legging pattern, but leggings are not my thing so I made these larger - they are more elastic waist pants, but without the bulk around the waist that normally happens with elastic waist pants.  So I am really pleased with them from this perspective.

I also used these pants as an exercise in learning to fit my small flat bottom.  There were only the crotch and inner leg seams to play with, but this is really the two places I need to alter.

I'll photograph the pants on me tomorrow and blog about the alterations for those of you who are interested.


HOW TO WEAR LEGGINGS

Yesterdays post about my observations on leggings and my asking your opinion of the best way to wear leggings (especially when an elegant age) raised lots of discussion.



Thumbs down went to very thin leggings worn only with shorter tops - just blouses or tops - whether young or old.  Some commented that it is not a pretty sight to see it "all" through these garments, that can be quite revealing.  (I get really nauseated when I see the entire female outline of bits you shouldn't be showing, on display).   I quite agree. One comment was about obese people wearing the short top/legging look - and that this is commonly worn by this cohort.  Unfortunately, this has been my observation as well.  I try to think that perhaps they can't find anything else to fit, but surely a little cover up over them could be found.


Some of you commented that it either was not your style, or that your shape was not quite right for them, or not appropriate to wear outside a dance studio.  Some commented that if worn appropriately and the wearer was comfortable with the style, that was fine. Wise ladies :)

Some of you are wearing leggings/jeggings but with other clothes and find them great to wear - I agree, leggings can look nice, but worn with other garments such as dresses or tunics.  Worn by themselves, they look more like stockings - not really a good look.

Leggings are not my style - I do have a pair, but they are to take on holidays with me to slip on underneath a dress should the weather change suddenly form warm to cool.

I found some nice images on how to wear leggings from the following site:

www.oprah.com/style/How-to-Wear-Leggings-Fashion-Advice-from-Adam-Glassman

With a swirly dress

With a tunic

That's all for tonight - it has been one of those days where I have been busy but don't seem to have done much.

Sarah Liz :)

12 comments:

  1. Great post Sarah.. Your photos of different ways to wear leggings, were great.. Worn in the right way.. they are not bad at all..
    Can't wait to see your photo.. Bet the pants are going to be great..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, no they are fine worn nicely - once again, if it is your style. Photo coming :)

      Delete
  2. I like the suggestions too - perhaps I could be persuaded to wear leggings if I had such nice tops/dresses to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, once again, I think it is a question of style - I would want a really elegant tunic I think. But they do have their uses in a wardrobe.

      Delete
  3. Look Forward To See You In the Patterned Pants :) Leggings, Jeggings, Tights, I Definitely Do Wear Them Under My Tunics And dresses, No Matter If It's Summer Or winter...IFeel Cold Easily Even In Hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, I feel the cold as well - and I should think you miss the steamy heat. You wear leggings the right way :)

      Delete
  4. Nice ideas, I like the last best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more classic, I agree - I like that as well.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your feelings about wearing leggins. But I find that I LIVE in them during the winter months - mostly I use them for at home wear, but with just the right long tunic, I love the look when wearing them with boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye - yes, I think we all have to find what works for us in the different weathers - I would wear them if they wear warm enough - but certainly, the right overgarment is needed. I would love to find a really super fabric to make them in, then I might wear them in boots with a very elegant coat tunic over the top.

      Delete