Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

The New Patterned Pants




These are my new patterned pants - made from a leggings pattern. As you can see, I am very slim in the legs, bottom and hips - I sort of don't really have any, which causes all sorts of fitting problems.  So I decided that a leggings pattern might just be right for slim, comfortable, elastic waist, around the house while doing chores sort of pants.   These sort of clothes get rather overlooked in our wardrobe planning.  And I don't know about you, but it doesn't really inspire you to get on with tedious housework if you are also wearing the daggy, saggy, sad clothes that aren't really good enough to be seen.

The pattern was McCall's M6173:  Leggings, sized for stretch.  I used a stretch cotton sateen.  It was slightly less stretchy than recommended, but I was also using a larger size as I did not want leggings but slim pants.

M6173
 The pattern has two variations - one is a legging with central zip and side seams. The second is front and back cut in one piece. This was what I used.  I cut out Medium so that I got a looser fit - but took out half an inch on the inner leg seam above the knee as my thighs are so slim. I also made an adjustment for my flat bottom and added extra at the waist - these are designed to fit one inch below the waist, but that means they would finish at my widest point - not a good look.  Also, because of my small hips, low waisted garments tend to fall straight down.  The engineering principles of low waist garments are predicated on hips being large to stop the fall :)

One piece front and back
 Now for the photo's - I usually take them indoors, but went outside in the hope that their would be more light to take photos.  No such luck - some parts of Australia have bright light, but it's frequently dull and gloomy here.


Front view
 I'm wearing sensible, practical, clean up the garden shoes - I have a practical streak in me and wear what works in the situation.

Back view
 Considering these trousers are just elastic waist non fitted trousers, I think the back looks pretty good.  Compared with my practical around the house RTW elastic waist denim pants:


The Elephant Wrinkle Pants
Not a good look.  As you would agree, RTW and me do not get along at all well - which is why I want to sew more garments.  My worst fitting me-mades are better than this!

These pants are not my style or colour, but they certainly add a bit of much needed vitality and vim to the boring mundaneness of household chores - so they will be fun to wear for this sort of occasion.

And for blogging.  They are so comfortable, I haven't takent them off yet:


SO:

I think I will be using this pattern to make a few more replacement pull on pants - perhaps in a variety of fabrics -  I'll have to check my glorious stash to see what inspirations are in it :)

*****

Which reminds me - the 2013 Style The Stash Sew A Long is really gathering steam -this is a really, lively, interactive Sew-A-Long -  do pop over and check us out - or join us, if you want to sew some stash with us.

The address: www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com

Thats it for now, I hope your sewing is all you want it to be:)

Sarah Liz

26 comments:

  1. The back of these trousers are a much better fit to the RTW pair.
    And the print is a really good one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - The pattern is growing on me the longer I wear the pants :)

      Delete
  2. The pants look fab. I think the print really balances your lower half.

    I've a friend with a similar build to you and we've been muddling our way through various patterns in order to get a workable pattern. I'm going to suggest she get this pattern and we'll give it a go. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Janine, I do need prints on the bottom as I am so small. I've posted a comment on your blog about the pattern - but I'll say it here as well - I certainly haven't overfitted these pants - once again I am too thin for that and look "top heavy" - so they are loosish and give a slight impression of curves. Good luck with your friend - I'm a great believer in keeping an open mind and just playing with things until something works out.

      Delete
  3. You And New Pants Look Great Sarah Liz! I Can Imagine Feeling More Upbeat In A Nice Getup At home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, yes, it does work feeling more upbeat - I think I'm going to invest more in some home pants - will have to look for some more printed stash :)

      Delete
  4. They look great on you. Good fit and very funky. Got to add some fun to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great print, I like these pants a lot! You say it is not your usual style, but I think it could be since it suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elise - I do rather like them, so maybe I will have to consider more style options :)

      Delete
  6. They look great on you. I admire your slimness :) The pattern seems like a great fit for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pattern worked well - I just find trouser patterns are often too large in the leg.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely love them! There is no way you could buy super pants like this in our shops, with a pattern and fit like these. Well done - guess you will be whipping up a few more very soon. Could I ask where you managed to buy this fabric - I really, really love it??? - is it similar to the stretch cotton sateen that Spotlight stocks???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I did buy this fabric at Spotlight - it was new in - not much left when I went today (for thread, I resisted the fabric :) ). You may be able to get some up your way. I often find the patterns too large for me, or too bright. I will certainly be making this up again :)

      Delete
  8. I love the print on you. Give a few more prints a try especially now that you have the fit perfected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda - I will, as soon as I can find suitable prints - small market here, and not so many nice prints as you ladies have over there. I like to shop locally to support the local retailers.

      Delete
  9. They look great on you; lovely fit and a fun and comfortable style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great fit, and fun fabric. They look tons better that the rtw pair. Thats the beauty of making your own.
    I cannot imagine it being dull and gloomy in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thank you - and yes, most RTW does not fit me :).

      Australia has lots of different climate zones - where I live is sub tropical, and it is invariably overcast. Other parts of Australia have much brighter light and lots of sun !

      Delete
  11. I love it! Great fit and looks very comfy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this pattern and have used it only once. It's my intentions to go back and make more but I have sooo many patterns. I think you've given me more jojo juice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scheryka - I know the feeling - lots of patterns all wanting to be made up first - and not so much time :) Go with the mojo Scheryka!

      Delete
  13. I love your pants! Patterned fabric cheers me up. These fit you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Stephanie - it does me too, I've discovered :)

    ReplyDelete