Warning - this post contains lots of views of my not very pre-possessing rear end :)
This was my first muslin of a very plain pair of semi fitted tapered trousers, from Vogue pattern 8865:
Big mistake. They look worse than the muslin...
I had a think about this overnight. What could the problem be? I have a small rear, I thought - well, it doesn't spread sideways at least.
The light bulb went on in my head. I have done sculpture in the past, and decided that the way to tackle this was to see and feel the problem. The pants felt tight in the seat. I had plenty of room at the sides - so the pants are not too tight - on the contrary.
Do I in fact have a curvier tail than I thought? Or is it a problem of crotch size?
Both, as it turned out. I choose my hip size, which I take to be 8 - I am just a tad over the 8. I often am not sure what to do about the crotch, because I gradually go up to 12 at the waist. So I sort of do 8-10 crotch, not being sure where my changes occur.
But, looking at the pattern pieces, size 6 gives me more room in the tail - I used this size and then added another few mm's (1/4 inch). I also rasied the CB in case I needed that - I checked my waist position and it is slightly higher in the back than the front.
This was the result:
Looking much better but still room for improvement. Then I added a bit more and dropped the crotch slightly moving into the inner leg area. I wasn't planning on posting the photo, so was about the put the screen away - this was really my working photo.
So I need a size 6 and then further tweaked crotch - I'll tell you about the crotch shape I use in a different blog.
I have never been so self obsessed with my rear end in all my life - I am not sure that I have enjoyed it very much :). But maybe, just maybe, the results of my determined and analytical mind are starting to bear fruit.
Time will tell...
Sarah Liz :)