Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Pants Muslin That Worked...

Yes, finally I'm starting to get to grips with trouser muslins.  Soon I will be progressing to wearable muslins from my recent batch of trial muslins.  Then to making up good fabric.  That's the plan, anyway, but as you know, the best laid plans do tend to get waylaid.

I still need to find a suitable pattern for making a pair of formal trousers for doing jobs like visiting the accountant.  I have lost my mojo about this job, but it's come back again.  I decide to try Butterick5687.

Butterick 5687.
This pattern contains a pair of straight leg pants.  I am a little wary about the width - I think they will be too wide and will swamp me.  I do like the fact that they are designed to sit at the waist.

I do think the crotch shape is important, so I laid the shape that works for me over the crotch shape denoted by the pattern, and altered to suit me - that was the hope, anyway.

I only took about an hour and a half from starting the tracing to finishing the muslin - time well spent, and I'm certainly getting quicker (this job used to take me all afternoon, or lots of bits of evenings).

I was please with the results - I'll do the dreaded back view first:


I really did not agonise about fit here, other than the crotch curve.  That is not too bad.  I did not do any alterations for my baggy back leg problem - but I have found the results are not so bad as some patterns I have used.  I can easily tweak this.  The waist is about right - I always add extra at the centre back in case I lower the crotch - I have learnt this lesson the hard way.  You can always take fabric away, but you can't add it back.

I have pinned one leg in a bit to see what I think about a narrower leg.

The front view also works - I haven't added a waistband yet, so the pant is slipping down on the right hand side as you look at the photo.


Again, I had absolutely no problems with the fit of this pattern.  I will add slanted pockets if I make this pattern up to give my front the illusion of shape.

And, I am happy with the side view as well - the pinned side is showing here:


I also found the crotch depth and shape to be perfect - and perfectly comfortable.   This pant is a winner for me and I will be making the shorter length, full width, as a pair of summer pants.  I have some cotton drill that is in the stash, ready and waiting to become a wearable muslin.  These will also test the width of the pant on me.

Sarah Liz is smiling :)

I hope you are too - good luck with your sewing as well...

Sarah Liz

22 comments:

  1. I think you are indeed onto a winner! What a refreshing feeling for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. go go go Sarah Liz ... I am very impressed with you. I tend to loose interest and then move on and leave the unfinished projects for 'sometime later'. I am looking envious at your persistence. It's something I really need to start to develop instead of fluttering from one attempt to the next. I sigh wistfully when people talk about their trouser block or their skirt block, knowing that maybe, just maybe one day I'll be able to say 'I made this from my perfect such and such pattern'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giggles - believe me, I wasn't always like this! And I have set as one of my goals this year to work out how to fit garments a little better than I did in the past.

      Delete
  3. Your Tenacity On Working Out This PanTs Situation Is Pretty Inspiring Sarah Liz! I Wish I Have All The Time To GeT More Done... Im A Night Owl, But Unfortunately Cant Really Use This Me Time To Sew (Sometimes I Still.Do But Not all The Time) CoZ I Might Wake The Boys up, Or The Neighbours..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, I have had to develop tenacity in other areas of my life, so now I am transferring it to trouser/pant making :). If you are up at night and have to maintain quiet, could you work on tracing patterns, or hand sewing - I guess you already do. It's a pity you can't sew then, cos I suspect during the day Bean would keep you very busy.

      Delete
  4. Sarah, your focus on this project is very inspiring :0) These look good Sarah. They sit well and will look even better when you cut into the fabric. Are you lining them? m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi m, next I will make a wearable muslin out of a cheap cotton twill that I can wear for odd jobs. Then I will assess what to make next.

      Lined trousers are lovely, but I won't line casual cotton drill pants. Also, I would have to think hard about lining pants - Australia can be quite warm, so I may be making these pants out of linen later.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Nothing better than making up a pair of pants and being happy with the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm finally loioking forward to making a pair of comfortable casual trousers now, as the next stage - a wearable muslin.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Sarah Liz your determination to find the perfect trouser pattern for you has me in awe! I know I would have given up long, long ago. These look as if they're perfect though, so your perseverance has paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam - when I get fed up with the trouser quest, I go and do something else- then come back:)

      Delete
  7. I am so happy for you, Sarah! Finally you got the perfect fit:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew you would make them fit. Hard work pays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These really look like a good fit. Congrats..
    You really amaze me----you have made all these muslins and I must say, doing a fantastic job with getting the fit you need. How do you keep going like this? [I tend to want to do one muslin -and really don't want to do one.ha'.
    Best wishes on your sewing.. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. I hate doing muslins --I'll say why on the next post...

      Delete
  10. Yay, looks like this fit is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think I have something to play with here :)

      Delete