Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Seriously Unflattering Muslin...

Kwik Sew 3540
I quickly made up what I planned to be  wearable muslin  capri pants.  The pattern I used was Kwik Sew 3540.  It claims to be slim fitting, although the picture looks not too tight.  When I looked at the pattern pieces I thought they looked quite slim, but as this was for stretch fabrics (knits or woven) and I am not experienced in sewing stretch fabrics, I decided to go ahead.  I used a piece of stretch cotton twill, with 4% elastane, so it had a reasonable stretch in it.

Here is the result - not a pretty sight!!!!  But Sarah Liz has a sense of humour and can laugh at herself :)


 As you can see from the photo above, lots of wrinkling around the bottom - and that was after I took out the inner leg dart to remove some fabric.  The trousers are also tight and wrinkling and catching lower down.  Also, the skinny leg look is not really flattering for me - and I don't like it.  I prefer a more elegant line.

The front view is even more laughable, except as you can see, I have my seriously unimpressed expression on my face :)

The view above - knobbly, wrinkly knees, and just look how unflattering around the tummy - yes, I did raise the waist, and need to take a little in at the sides - but not a good look. This pattern has no darts, and I am fast learning that my tummy is nicely curved and I look better with darts in garments.

The side view is almost passable:

Except for the droopy tail and the wrinkly knees.

Well, I have learnt quite a bit from this exercise:

1.  I like elegant lines in clothes and do not like skin tight anything - I had no idea I had become so classic in my tastes - the last time I took this much interest in clothes I was young.  I think I have moved on!!!  (yes, then I was a teenager, now I'm a little older and dare I say it, more experienced in all sorts of ways).
  
2.  If a pattern piece does not look right then it probably isn't.

3.  Making a muslin is a really good idea so that if the pattern is not going to work then you can move on without too much heartbreak.

4.  This time I nearly enjoyed the process, so I think I am starting to learn something!
 
Well, the offending pants have been disposed off.  I will remove this pattern from my catalogue - it can go to the op shop.  

So, although I said this garment would be made to completion, it won't be.  I think I will use the little Burda pattern for my slim fit trousers - it does look okayish - modern, but classic at the same time.

This garment did use 1.25 yards of fabric I already did not like from my stash.  So some stashbusting has been achieved.


16 comments:

  1. I agree that being so tall and lean (you look reallllly tall!!!) you'd probably want a nice smooth line from the hip. Muslins aren't fun for me :/ but for trousers, it's unavoidable, isn't it??

    Enjoying seeing your fitting process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am afraid muslins are part of the process, but I'm starting to enjoy that now. I'm thin but not tall - I just look it in these photo's. I guess because I am thin:)

      Delete
  2. This is why mock ups are so important - to make sure you're happy with the style as much as the fit. I think a classic, smooth line will suit you so much better. Good luck with the next pair. I'm on my third toile of my shorts pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire - yes, I agree with what you say - better to avoid the heartache of wrong style, wrong fit. I think I would have bailed out at number 2- referring to your efforts :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Claire - muslins are an important tool to use to see if you're happy with the style as well as the fit. One of the downsides of making your own clothes is that if you're trying a new style you don't know if you're going to like it until it's complete - or until you've put a lot of work in anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you Sam - I've trod the road of error many times, and have finally learnt something (I hope) :)

      Delete
  4. All you did was so up a muslin, you did not cut into good fabric. Making muslins first is really the best way to find out about this issues. Thank you for sharing it with us, so that we may learn from your experience. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maria - and even if yu make a mistake with good fabric, it's not the end of the world - as you say, just fabric.

      Delete
  5. We can always find something good in every experience and you found lots of good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to Rhonda, although at the time one sometimes wonders :)

      Delete
  6. Oh Sarah Liz, I'm sorry these didn't work out. That is a seriously weird pattern. I don't know who they designed the backside for! At least you (and now us) have learned something from this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat - yes, I'm finding that all of KwikSews backsides don't work for me. They must work for someone, I am assuming.

      Delete
  7. I agree that this pattern didn't work for you. You have inspired me to go back to working on pant fitting. My first muslin was a bust so I am redrafting the pattern and making a second muslin this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for going back and starting again Towanda - keep moving forward is the way to go :)

      Delete
  8. I made the same discovery myself about classic clothing. I am drawn to it time and time again. (All of my retail shopping was at "classic" women's clothing shops - Talbots, Ann Taylor or hitting up Ebay for classic clothing designers - Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger). I had to admit that I could no longer fight my inner pretty self (the one that wore a lot of alligators on her clothes in the 80s)-- I put my Sperry and Coach shoes right next to my Doc Martens. Haha! While my style is still a bit eclectic (I love vintage clothing and novelty prints, especially pin ups), I'm a classic girl at heart who loves Lily Pulitzer and doesn't care who knows it! Kudos to you for making all of those muslins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ann Taylor's clothes - and Ralph Lauren (not his more costume like clothes) and Tommy Hilfinger - I also don't care who knows I am classic - and if I get labelled as a "frump" for not wearing the latest extreme fashions I won't mind at all.

    I actually like your eclectic approach to wearing classics - it is "Christy".

    ReplyDelete