Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Gallery of trouser muslins

Today's blog is a record of trouser muslins I have recently made.  I decided I needed to put them all in one place so that I can find them all in one place when I am ready to make these garments up.  I love having things in order so I can easily find them. I'll also be putting this post on a separate page at the top of my blog so I can easily find it.

The first muslin:

 Which was retweaked to get a good fit around the bottom.  The how to's are found here:

http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/trouser-fitting-key-to-my-fitting.html

Pleated pants which I will make in a cotton drill for casual wear:




A bit baggy around the back, but I'll have a look at this issue nearer to making them.

Straight leg pants, perhaps make in a linen or similar:



 When I first saw this muslin I did not like the front, but I think I can learn to live with it!

The Burda pattern sized for petites was next - I just cut this out and made it up - it gave very little in the way of problems:




Just needs a tweak under the tail region - easy to do when I cut the fashion fabric.

The last muslin was a Butterick pattern - I'm sort of looking for a suitable pattern for formal pants - it's starting to look like a case of I'll know what's right when I see it.





This pattern made up nicely over the bottom.  I'll make it up in a cotton drill in the shorter length to see how it looks.

I do keep my muslins and patterns in order and stacked in a basket, so that I can easily find them.

I thoroughly enjoyed that bit of organisation and am discovering that with the benefit of hindsight and a bit od distance from the initial making of these muslins, that they are not as bad as I first thought!

Sarah Liz

8 comments:

  1. They all look pretty good to me! I have a couple of pants muslins languishing in my pattern file. It all became much too traumatic at the time. Now that some time has passed, about 3 years, I may feel brave enough to have another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy - if you feel bad about them, just remember they are only pieces of fabric. Don't allow a piece of fabric and a bad fitting pattern (they are not all good) - upset you.

      Delete
  2. I just finished making my first pair of pants. I have to photograph and share. I think the last one is the one that fits the nicest. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you m. I like the last one - very classic. Looking forward to seeing your photos soon :)

      Delete
  3. You are one determined lady :-) If a perfect fitting pair of pants will ever exist...you will own them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't of course, Rhonda, but I am starting to understand pants now.

      Delete
  4. These do look good! What perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph, it's a goal I set myself this year.

      Delete