Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

In need of a rest this weekend...

As you all know, I have been busy making trouser/pants muslins over the last few weeks - some are good, some not so good.  Some of you are amazed at my tenacity for just sticking at this one job.  In reality, I hate making muslins, but I am starting to see the necessity of them.  Not all patterns will work for all bodies, and I would rather find out sooner, rather than later - especially after making the garment and finding that it doesn't work in either fit or style for me.

I also have a heavy workload at the moment - I knew this would happen for a few weeks in July.  The receptionist is away, so I can get to everything at the moment and have a good sort out - one day I processed four months of outstanding accounts.

So I knew that I wouldn't have too much energy for sewing - and when I make a garment I actually like to have a uninterrupted time and no aching back from intense computer work.  I thought  that making muslins for the garments I am planning would work well.  I haven't enjoyed working them back to back, but now I won't have to do any for a while :)

Today I am very tired, and still have a heavy week next week - so I decided to have a nice quiet day.  I always like to do a sewing based activity everyday though, so today I decided to pre-wash fabric ready to make up the tested patterns.

Black and Navy Cotton Drills for Casual Summer Pants
 I wash drill on a very hot wash and then put it in the dryer - some cottons have a tendency to shrink even after washing, so I dry with heat as well to solve this problem.  Later I will wash the garment in cold water to avoid further shrinkage.

Black patterned cotton for Casual Pants, Tweedy look for Office Pants.
The black cotton also got the hot water and dryer treatment, while the tweed look fabric, which is a polyester/viscose mix had a hot wash but was not put in the dryer on high heat as it does not tolerate heat well.

I will spend the rest of the day doing something quiet - either knitting:

My current knitting project

Or reading - I am not sure which  book, or whether it will be a dip into each of them:

The above book takes a look at the changing forms of beauty and fashion in line with technological changes.  I started reading it the other day and it is a fascinating cultural history.

Or perhaps I will read some of this - it's been on the list for a while - I really do think I couold benefit from learning more about how to sew.


Or this - I hope to get into Honours next year and I should really start thinking about research design and analysis and what sort of topic I will want to do.   I may not get in of course.  Time will tell.  But I will enjoy dipping into the book, in any case - the only way you can work out a project is actually to do some reading in the area of interest.

Or maybe I shall no nothing (and certainly not the ironing!!) - and just relax and read a magazine and some blogs.

Which I am going to do now...

Hope you are all well and enjoying your weekend, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz






14 comments:

  1. Have A Restful Weekend Sarah Liz! :) Im Just Finishing My nephew's Baby Quilt top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Far, I shall, looking forward to seeing the quilt soon :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'm tired just reading about all your activities! I hope you have a good rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Kat, did nothing Saturday evening and most of Sunday :)

      Delete
  3. Relax - sometimes it is good just to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something I'm not good at, but you are right :)

      Delete
  4. Wishing you a good and relaxing weekend! I am just reading a good book and enjoying the time with my little family. I am thinking to continue sewing on Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very enjoyable Hana, you will be refreshed for your sewing on Monday :)

      Delete
  5. A little rest is always a good thing. Sometimes the body just needs to be still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Rhonda - and the mind, emotions and spirit.

      Delete
  6. I think you should just enjoy yourself this weekend. :) m.

    ReplyDelete