Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Inspirational message to everyone....


Yesterday I found a comment waiting on my blog from a post that was a few weeks old.  I want to thank Angel for her comment and would like to share it all with you...

You actually made that yourself? Impressive! It's beautiful. I love fleece jackets, i have a few but i bought them. I'm not really good in sewing. i'm really impressed with what you've made. It's really beautiful. I really thought you got them in department stores or online stores.

(the jacket Angel is referring to is my polar fleece jacket.  The jacket and comment can be found here:
http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/my-new-jacket-blurry-out-of-focus-self.html )

Blog friends and sewers, are you like me, do you sometimes take your skills for granted?  I know I do, and also often chastise myself for not "being good enough" at sewing - of course, really, I'm still learning, and will do so for the rest of my life.

I think we should all think about what Angel says - we really are an amazing group, we sewers - trying to hone our skills as well as lead our busy lives.  And yes, isn't it lovely to be able to say,  "I made it myself".

I'd also like to thank everyone for their lovely thoughts and comments yesterday.  We all have tedious patches in our lives that interfere with sewing. 

I'm going to go and have my half hour fix now - hope you manage to fit in some sewing as well :)

Sarah Liz

12 comments:

  1. What a very sweet and nice comment that was left for you.. I totally agree with Angel.
    And I too, think , sewing is a never ending learning cycle.. You just have to love it---
    It is do addictive.ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet comment, I know it made you proud when she thought you'd bought it, there's so much I'm re learning & learning as I'm getting back into sewing clothing after all these years
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should be proud of our efforts - your last projects were good as well.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely comment isn't it? I know I love to receive comments - I guess everyone does. I started sewing a little over a year and a half ago and am finally starting to feel that I can sew. It has taken quite some time to work my skill up to where it is now - but still have a long way to go. I don't take it for granted seeing as how I am still learning. I look forward to the day I can take any skills for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay - yes, you have come a long way - I wasn't blogging when you started your blog, but for a new sewer you have certainly done really well - long may it continue:)

      Delete
  4. You know, I think we do take our skills for granted. I think by the very nature of making things and trying to improve on our skills, we often only see the small errors. It takes a wonderful comment by someone else, such as the comments Angel made, to really illuminate our skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my ex students is working in my yard and I praised her on FB...she replied with "Thanks! I love validation" We all love compliments, and more so the validtion of our efforts. Plus, that is a wonderful coat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, what you say is very true - we all thrive with recognition and praise - emotional needs are very important. So few people take the time to say positive things or even smile at people - these things do make a big difference.

      Delete
  6. It's such a nice thing to say! Thanks for sharing it and giving us something to think about.

    I always feel like I'm learning, but sometimes I forget how far I've come. Hopefully one day I can find a way to pass on some skills and give something back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kat - I think the nicest thing about blogging is that everyone shares - I sometimes think that I won't post something, then I think that maybe what is obvious to me, may not be to someone else. I think everyone has all sorts of things to offer - maybe a different approach, thinking of different sorts of fabrics, or even just getting in there and having a go at making something. All really positive things.

      Delete
  7. Very Sweet comment. I totally agree with Angel your jacket looks like out of a catalog or store. I am far from trying jackets and pants but I appreciate your workmanship and how you stick to a project until you get the desired result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Awilda, thank you - yes, it does take time and stickability. I do like making jackets - I always did. Trousers/pants are more trying, especially with fit. Just keep going Awilda, and you will improve over time - start simply and gradually.

    ReplyDelete