Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Quick and Easy A-Line Skirt


Today I needed some stress relief so I quickly made up this skirt - it only takes a couple of hours to make up, as it is very basic and also unlined.  I can't tell you what pattern it is, because it is one of my tracings labelled "A-Line Skirt".  In any case, all A-Lines are much the same :).  This one is made from baby wale cord.

I really like simple clothes and have wanted this style of skirt for some time, after seeing this one by English designer Margaret Howell.  Her focus is on simple styles in basic fabrics, all traditional and classic cuts.

Margaret Howell Fall/Winter 2010-2011
I tend to keep pictures of things I like - and I still like this skirt in 2013, so it must be fairly timeless.

I can wear it with my recently made polar fleece jacket:


And my recently made polar fleece vest:


I really should model the skirt, but time has run away with me today so I will do that another day - after I've finished the tedious project I'm stuck with at work.  One more week to go....

I am going to try and make a grey A-Line skirt next week/weekend.  

Oh, I used up 1.75 yards of fabric for our stashbuster - if you don't know about our stashbusting sew-a-long, please do pop over and have a look at what we are up to - and join us if you would like to - here is our link: www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com .

Sarah Liz



7 comments:

  1. Quick and easy projects are great in relieving stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree with you L - a real mood lifter :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think this new skirt will be adorable with your polar fleece jacket.
    Proud you got to finish your skirt. and hope your heavy work load gets done smoothly, and frees you soon..
    I bet the gray corduroy will be really pretty..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will :). I think work will sort out this week. And the grey is really soft and pretty :)

      Delete
  3. I think time spent on basic wardrobe pieces is always well spent, your skirt will mix and match with so any things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to stick to basics - it may be not so trendy, but I always have something suitable to wear, so you are right :)

      Delete
  4. Nice outfit! My mother always talked about the traditional/basics that never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete