Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Ready for a Total Restyle - The Closet Clean-Out


Old clothes drawer

 Today and the next few days are rather useless for sewing anything other than muslins, pre-washing and planning,  as there is a lot of paperwork that needs my attention - end of financial year reconciliations, group certificates, insurance paperwork, accounts to get out, the list of yuks goes on.  And today the gutters are being cleaned - again, not good for sewing concentration - and I do need to concentrate with sewing.


So, how do I move forward with my sewing and styling project at the same time?  Perhaps by cleaning out the closets, and getting rid of what is either tatty and past wearing, or in the wrong colour, size or style for me.

The drawer above was an easy toss - it contains old t-shirts and trousers, and I use them for "dirty jobs".  Trouble is, I've been using them for years, and feel dreadful every time I wear them - you can see the white t-shirt is so yellowed.  I know I saved my money for years but this is carrying parsimony too far:)

In any case, I've got newer clothes that I don't like that much that I would prefer to wear now instead of these - I don't feel so bad in them.

Easy decision - toss!  Way past enough use to send to a thrift shop.

Old Tatty Nighties etc
And look at this old tat - just never quite got around to tossing some of the old nighties and thongs ( I use little thongs as slip ons with nightwear in summer).  Not sure what the bag was about - may have planned to give it to a niece - it's not my style at all.

Easy decision - toss!  Not right for a thrift shop, they could not use this.

Old sundress
 The sundress was bought in a thrift shop - it didn't cost me much - I was a student at the time, and spent my budget on books - and dressed on the cheap.  I loved this dress though, even though it was not in my colours at all - it would suit an Autumn.  I'm a Summer.

I do have other dresses now, so...

Off it goes ...to the thrift shop for someone else to enjoy.

Skirts - too large and wrong colour
The skirts about are both too large for me - I sort of saved them in case I suddenly grew and had no time to go shopping or do some sewing.  They are also the wrong colour - both have beige going through them - not my colour - again, more suitable for warm colouring.  They were originally from a thrift shop.

Another easy decision:  Back they go....

Red skirt and beige top
I did like this skirt and did wear it from time to time - due to lack of anything else in my wardrobe.  However, I never felt comfortable in it - the red is just a little warm for me, and I felt very "loud" in it.  I do like red, but it has to be on the cooler side of the spectrum.  Also, this is a summer skirt - and this sort of red in summer tends to make you feel very hot - not what is needed.

The top was just a plain mistake - I don't often do fashion, and when the ruched look was in, I decided to leave dangerously and buy a tulle top.  Never wore it.

You know where these are going, don't you?  Yes, the thrift shop.

So, that's some bags for the thrift shop and some bags for the rubbish/garbage bin.

Now I've freed some space and a drawer, I'll have to go and tidy up...

So, for now, au revoir...

Sarah Liz :)




16 comments:

  1. I have a stack of clothing that needs to be donated as well. I either just do not wear them, or I do not like them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that happens - I have some like that as well :)

      Delete
  2. I got rid of a lot when we packed up after the house was sold....but wait...there's more! I find it hardest to part with stuff I loved but don't wear anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's quite common to hold onto things for sentimental reasons - what about taking a photo of things you loved?

      Delete
  3. I have bins of clothing that haven't seen the light of day in years. I think I need to follow your lead and make a trip to the thrift shop. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, I have more to go - but at least they are all classic basics.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't it feel good to get rid of the stuff you don't wear or need? I think a good closet is one where you would love to wear anything in it, and it all looks good on you - and you don't have to dig through the items that are all wrong for you. Oh, and I'd rather clean my closet than do paperwork any day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I need to do! I have so much stuff I never or rarely wear it's silly.

    I LOVE the fabric of that sun dress you're taking (or have taken) to the thrift store. Gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all tend to hold on Sam - not sure why, I guess different reasons for everyone :)

      Delete
  6. Someone is going to be happy with the brown printed dress, and that great red skirt. Soon your closet will be filled with everything you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, yes, I hope so, but a bit of sewing work ahead of me yet :)

      Delete
  7. SarahLiz, so proud you are getting that job done.. I am in the process of doing it too.. Makes sewing easier, once you see what you nee or don't need..
    Hope you get the ole yuck jobs done too.. Happy 4th..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Judy for starting your clean out as well:)

      Delete
  8. I recently sent some items off to a charity who wanted unwanted clothes. It was such a good feeling! There are some nice pieces your giving away - I'm sure they will get to good homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, yes, it's no good holding on to things - and if other people love them, or can use them, or need cheap clothes, it seems the logical thing to do :)

      Delete
  9. I absolutely *love* cleaning out my wardrobe (and other people's too, if they'll let me). It feels great to pare it back to what you really need and want. I had a giggle at the reason you kept those two skirts - that kind of reasoning occurs to me sometimes as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete