Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ready for a Total Restyle - Wardrobe assessment

Now I've tidied up my wardrobe, I decided it was time to see if I could work what I need in the way of clothes, and what I have that can be made into little outfits.  I know I need a new pair of smart black trousers, for the sort of occasions where you need smart black trousers, but a lot of my life is now quite casual.  So I came up with a few ideas for casual outfits, both for winter and summer.

So, some quick ideas for winter- my red cardigan can be worn over a cream jumper or a black one, with warm pants:


I also have a lovely me-made hand knit jumper with a lovely cowl neckline - that looks good with a denim skirt I made pre-blog:
 

Not me-mades, but a nice smart casual outfit - white blouse, cardigan, jeans and scarf:


And a me-made skirt which can be a summer or winter skirt - just add tights, a jumper or white blouse and cardigan , perhaps with a grey scarf:


I rummaged around, and made a few summer outfits as well- the following is a me made cotton skirt, and I partnered it with an old white t, layered with a very flimsy black t shirt - with a fabric me-made belt.  I could probably wear this to work.


I don't have many me made clothes yet, but I want to look good while I am learning how to fit clothes - the trouser muslins are done, of course, need to tackle a jacket as well.

So I found a few of my RTW's and made some outfits from them - these will tide me through, at least, while I make clothes that I like.

This is just a simple casual outfit, navy blue casual shirt worn open over and white t-shirt and navy cotton drill skirt:

 
I've paired the same skirt with a brighter voile blouse and camisole:


I also unearthed these two voile blouses:

They will go nicely with my me made white trousers:


I made these  during the first few months of this blog - knowing full well I needed them in my wardrobe:)

I shall now  assess what clothes I need, and what I want, and then come up with a sewing plan...

As you know, I have a lot of black clothes and white blouses, so I have a lot of the basics.  I think I need to think about making a few fashionable garments or colourful ones, to pep things up.  Not quite sure what yet, I'll start planning next week.  That will cheer me up a bit during my paperwork session and give me some sewing plans to look forward to.

Sarah Liz 



17 comments:

  1. I love your summer/winter skirt - beautiful fabric! Easily you could start with colourful scarves to add some colour to your wardrobe - you have just the most amazing amount basics already. Filling in your wardrobe with me-mades is a long, but extremely fun, process. Where to start is half the fun...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I tend to get lost in the where to start - but this tidy up helped to clarify ideas...

      Delete
  2. You've put together some really smart outfits. I'm headed back into my closet this morning to take stock, put things back to rights and then proceed to the sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Christy - I know from your blog that you are in the process of revamping your wardrobe and getting rid of poorly fitting RTW's.

      Delete
  3. I like your floral skirt and I think the white trousers will go well with voile blouses :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have enough now to see you through some weeks of work. But a girl can always use a new top ;-) I love the red, and the teal. Have fun looking at styles you want to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very nice outfits in there! I see a trend towards blues with a touch of red that looks very nice. What about also infusing some orange or green just to mix things up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do trend towards the cool colours because they suit me. If I could find some orange mixed with pink, I would wear that to liven things up:)

      Delete
  6. A sewing plan! That is what I need too! I love some of the outfits you've put together but I agree there is a lot of black or white. I tend towards black and brown clothes for winter. SO I think you should make some smaller items - sleevless blouses for under your cardigans and scarfs in some bright colours like red or green or even a bright blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, too often we just sew, with no idea what we really need or want. I do have a lot of black and white - I'm a very classic dresser, but you are right, some little bright tops would work well. Blue especially - red tends to look too hot in our summertime - perhaps that is why I gravitate to the blues and white in summer.

      Delete
  7. Nice outfits. Best wishes with your paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice outfits. I concur, it's fun to play about with your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Carolyn, and yes, it is :)

    ReplyDelete