Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Restyling my Wardrobe

Quite frequently we have clothes in our wardrobe that we don't really wear - only because we don't see them as stylish or up to date, or don't know how to wear them, or perhaps have just plain forgotten what we have in our own closets.

I saw this window display last week - and this gave me an idea for how to restyle two garments in my winter woollies drawer that I have not worn for years.  I pulled them out, and this is what I came up with:


Front

Back
I'm wearing an old cream jumper (unworn for about a decade!!), and a red cardigan - also unworn for years.  I found a silver pendant, also rarely worn.

The slim pants/leggings are me made - loose, warm and slouchy, made from polar fleece.


At this time of year I tend to start planning my summer wardrobe.  I also find it is a good time to start tossing out unworn and unused clothes.  I started the process today, inspired by my restyling efforts. 

Tossing the tatty clothes

All these are well past their use by dates - the fabrics are pilling, one pair of trousers is extremely well worn and faded, and the jumper has shrunk and has wool balls all over it.  Even I have to admit these are past being worn for cleaning out the cupboards, when I have a smart new outfit to wear out of long forgotten garments:)

That was a very cheap shopping trip - all garments found in my own wardrobe :)

Sarah Liz


18 comments:

  1. I wish I had your eye for seeing what I already have! This is a great new outfit to see Winter out...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith - it was just one of those "aha" moments. I don't really want to make much for this season, so I'm glaad I solved the problem this way :)

      Delete
  2. you matched that up perfectly! the colors look great on you! I think if we all look through our closets we'd find "new" things lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love this kind of shopping trip! I've found that if I look hard enough I usually have what I "think I need" already in my wardrobe. You did well! I love these colors together! Very inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, it's amazing what we have hidden away in those cupboards sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Purging is something I really could do now that I'm no longer working and at home most of the time. Where to begin, I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe with the work clothes that you no longer need :) Or rework them with something else.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful! I love what you have done. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this red cardigan on you, Sarah!
    I nominated your blog on the super sweet blogging award, http://velvetribbonsew.blogspot.com/2013/07/super-sweet-blogging-award.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana and thank you for the award.

      Delete
  7. Love the outfit..[especially the red cardigan].. I need to weed out my closets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all tend to hold onto things past their useful lifespan.

      Delete
  8. This was one of my absolutely "go to" outfits/looks when I was teaching. I love it on you. How smart to find it all in your closet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary - yes, it's a great look - smart but practical and warm as well :)

      Delete
  9. You look snazzy, Sarah! The magical closet comes alive. I like the contrasting colors on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you - must see what else is hiding in there :)

    ReplyDelete