Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer Sewing Plans

Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to make a pair of black and white pants from Burda pattern 7058.
Burda 7058
 And that this was the fabric I plan to use - from my stash:


 I'm also needing a new pair of pants smart enough for work - I thought the same pattern would work, if I could find the right fabric. As our spring is looming, I decided a transitional fabric that was not so dark would work quite well - and I found this poly-viscose tweedy looking fabric. Just right! :


While I am on the black and white theme, I thought a transitional skirt would be a good idea - I have this stretch cotton sateen in my stash:




Currently I am working on Kwiksew pattern 3540:
Kwik Sew 3540
 I have cut this pattern out in a stretch cotton twill/canvas out of my stash - a fabric I do not love, so it is just right for testing the pattern.  I will be making it up to completion, come what may.

Then I want to use the same pattern, once tested, for a pair of green pants like these:


Basler, Spring/Summer 2013, Florida range
 I already have the fabric (bottom layer in photo)  pre-washed:


I also have enough for a skirt and blazer, see Basler picture above and below:

Basler, Spring/Summer 2013, Florida range
I have decided to document my ideas in my blog, because otherwise I tend to forget them or get sidetracked into something else.  I'm also going to start a new page (it will be at the top of my blog) so that I can track my project ideas easily.

How do you plan your projects and keep track of them - do you just make what you feel like, or do you research ideas from catalogues or fashion publications?  Or do you just decide to make something because you like a fabric?

Sarah Liz :)

14 comments:

  1. That is actually why I started my blog, because otherwise I'd never get anything done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly helps with the motivation :)

      Delete
  2. I tend to just sew whatever, as the feeling strikes. I can usually find a pattern and fabric from my stash that suit the sewing whim! One day I will think ahead far enough to make sure that I have seasonal outfits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be quite fun, sewing as the feeling strikes...

      Delete
  3. Great plans! I like to use my blog to plan too - but they always change - but it is fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay, yes, the plans do change, for all sorts of reasons.

      Delete
  4. I generally make what I feel like at the time. I need to focus on more staple items, but get myself side tracked :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all know that sidetrack, I'm sure we have all been on it:)

      Delete
  5. I think the green pants will look great on you! I think my next sewing project will be capris, we'll see! lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, we will have to see who makes them first, lol's

      Delete
  6. Wow Sarah! Some great plans you have laid out here! I love the cotton sateen print. I hope everything goes as planned! I try to put ideas on paper when they come to my head. Sometimes they get overtaken by other ideas...still trying to work on that one. The only time I'll research fashion is when I am inspired to "copy" something. I like to get it right as much as possible then put my own little spin on it. I'll be interested in seeing how your projects page comes along...it sounds like something I can use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, I'm familiar with ideas overlaid on ideas - I think the best thing is to just keep jotting - at least you'll always have something in mind :). The skirt will certainly go as planned, the rest, well it's better to be aim high and fall short, than to not aim at all...

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of spring sewing plans, so a good idea to keep them listed on your blog so you have a reminder and can easily track them. I'm using a plain journal, but there's other stuff in it too besides sewing plans. My list is so long that I'm afraid I'll never finish it, and in the mean time other sewing plans pop up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elise, yes, I agree, it is a good idea to list ideas - and it really doesn't matter how long the list is, because I have found that whatever length, it is in the nature of lists that they can't be finished :)

    ReplyDelete