Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Sewing and Welcome to New Followers


Hello everyone - it's my Sunday again - some of you will still be in Saturday.  It's 3.30 pm here and I am having a cup of coffee while enjoying both writing my blog and commenting on yours.

I also use this time each week to welcome new followers to my blog - so hi and welcome to Lyn J, Lyn P and Claudia - all of you following with Bloglovin.

*
This week saw the end of a block of work I did not enjoy so now I shall have a little more energy for my blog - which I want to rework and get into some sort of order (organisation being something I love!).

I am also looking forward to catching up on some sewing - and with winter half way through here it's time to think about spring/summer sewing.

I'll start with making practical, classic, casual basics that I can wear around the house or out and about in more relaxed situations.  I like plain cotton as I live in a humid climate - and cotton breathes and lets perspiration evaporate, which allows the body to cool.  I also travel to Adelaide occasionally, and sometimes land in the middle of a heatwave (well over the 100 degree mark).  So loose cotton clothes essential.

*
The first garment I will make will be a New Look Shirt/Blouse (6963).

New Look 6963.
I plan to make it in pink cotton broadcloth - I have laid the pattern on the fabric in the picture above.

I have made this blouse before in cotton broadcloth:


It makes up quite nicely and I really like it's crisp, clean lines.

That will be my first project of the season.  There are lots more ideas in the pipeline, and many of the muslins have been made - you can find them on the page at the top of this blog named "Muslin Gallery".

Do you plan your sewing ahead of the season or do you sew just as it comes?

Sarah Liz :)

16 comments:

  1. I Sew As It Comes, N A Lot Of Times Im Also Behind. Or Just Sew What Strike My Fancy With What FabriC I Have, N Then If It's Too Cold I Wear W Tights N Bundle It Up With My Down Jacket! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Far, I'm always behind - I'm actually starting my summer sewing from a few years ago, lol's. I think there might be more fun in sewing what you fancy.

      Delete
  2. I love plain cottons and I actually wish they'd sell more variety of it here in Australia. I mean Spotlight has a decent variety of prints etc, but they tend to be poplin (my stash is full of poplin) or broadcloth and I sometimes fancy the more drapey options for summer dresses. There are a couple of the pricier stores that I haven't checked out yet, perhaps they'll have more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Australia is so hot you would think that there would be more cottons, linens, rami's etc - good hot weather fabrics. I've only got Spotlight near me, and I rather tired of their very limited and often quite expensive fabrics - the quality is not that good. Nothing with some sort of drape, nothing a little more sophisticated, and stretch cotton sateen is just too hot to wear and doesn't suit so many garments.

      Delete
  3. I finally got my machine back, and it seems to be working well. Have fun w/ Spring/Summer sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled your machine is back - now you can sew again.

      Delete
  4. I love the buttondown shirt. White is always so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice classic blouse, an essential wardrobe builder. Here we are in our summer and I am knitting mittens!! maybe a C****** present, My sewing tends to be more current with the seasons as I can make them up a lot quicker than the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, yes, it is. I agree, with knitting you always have to knit well ahead :)

      Delete
  6. A lovely classic blouse, and it looks beautifully made.

    I try but don't really manage to plan my sewing. I do try to plan by matching up fabrics and patterns in my stash, but then I get distracted by a new idea and the plan falls to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabrielle, I think we all fall off our sewing plan trolleys - I do too, which is why I have to start sewing in a planful way to use some of the stash up :)

      Delete
  7. I think sewing with crisp cotton is the best way to "do" summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,nothing beats cotton and linen for summer :0

      Delete
  8. I love cottons for the summer too.. Such pretty fabrics.
    I love your shirt pattern, and just know the pink broadcloth will be very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, yes, it's a very practical shirt, and the pink, you are right, will look lovely.

      Delete