Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Who Likes their Driver's Licence Photo?


I wonder how many of us like our driving licence photographs?  I ask this, because today was the day I went to the Motor Registry to renew my driving licence.  Of course, a new picture was taken.  Nowadays you aren't allowed to smile (the instant way to a face life, in my opinion), which guarantees a less than great image.

So, my new photo is not really a flattering likeness.  Do you have the same problem  with your ID photos?

However, I did decide that I could use the photo rather well - I pretended that I was a film director or artist looking at this face - what sort of person is this- what does the face say.  This amused me for some time, and I have decided I need to up my own ante - and bring out my personality a little more in the way I dress.  Given that I like classic clothes, I am not sure how - but classic clothes are a great dressing prop to express yourself - they take the supporting role, you do the work.

I like this idea!!  So, the face told me that the eyes are quite serious, the mouth upturned into a questioning, slight determined impish way.  Am I serious?  Yes.  Am I determined ? Yes.  Can I be quite wickedly impish?  Yes .  A sort of a Zoe Wanaker character (or rather, the sort of characters Zoe Wanaker plays).

Tonight I must review classic style again .  I love the pictures in this book:

That won't take long, I'll also work on my trouser problem solving - I'm nearly there - I have a couple more muslins - I think really anything low waisted is iffy, and all commercial patterns are too big in the leg.  So I will also do some reading on trouser/pant patternmaking tonight.

Patternmaking for fashion design by Helen Joseph Armstrong
I've had the book for years - unused - at the time, I probably intended to put some time aside to study it, but life intervened.

I think the main problem is my very small bottom half - it doesn't go with my middle.  I'm hoping this book will throw some light on this problem.

I know I must seem a little obsessive, but really I set myself the goal of solving some of these problems this year, while I am not studying.  ( I suppose I sort of am - this is my current self imposed study!)  My sewing skills are good (sort of!!) - my  knowledge deficit is in fitting and how patterns work.

Sarah Liz





15 comments:

  1. I call them mug shots or prison photos. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are like that aren't they? lol's

      Delete
  2. My drivers licence photo is hideous. Skin, hair and background all much the same colour. I look like Cassandra in Doctor Who. (A face on a stretched piece of skin).
    My bottom half is also smaller than my middle. I read somewhere once that you should buy pants patterns to fit your legs and then alter the rest, but that sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me who Cassandra was (she was always calling for moisturiser, if I remember correctly). I think driver's licenes photo's must be universally hideous :)

      Yes, I've read to use smaller sizes and grade up, and I do that, but still find the results not fantastic, but I think maybe I'm a bit critical. If you are an inverted triangle as well, maybe that is why your muslins are a bit scary. It is hard to fit a body with a smaller bottom half.

      Delete
  3. I don't think you're being obsessive at all. Fitting is definitely something to be studied and practiced. As for my drivers license picture -- I actually like it. Thankfully, we're still allowed to smile for ours, otherwise....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lucky you being allowed to smile. I'm not sure what's with the no smile thing - must have been decided when some bureaucrat was having a miserable day :)

      You seem to have got your clothes to fit nicely Christy.

      Delete
  4. I like my DL photo...but if I weren't allowed to smile? Holy cow! I'd look like I was about to commit a Class A Felony.

    I smile a lot. All day. Constantly. It is an instant face lift! When I don't smile, my slightly wonky left eye looks all crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Smith... I just had to comment on your reply.. You do have a wonderful smile on your face.. you really look nice.. that smile is really contagious.. [I bet you make everyone around you smile too]
      ps I never noticed a "left wonky eye" haha

      Delete
    2. Hi Ladies - yes, Mrs Smith does have a lovely smile. I agree with Mrs Smith - a smile does wonders for the face and the psyche. And any facial imperfections are not so noticeable.

      Mrs Smith, please keep smiling so you don't look like a Class A felon :)

      Delete
  5. I really had to laugh at your Drivers license story.. oh.........I hate mine[especially this time!!].. I ordered my DL on line [stupid mistake], it never came, I would call, and they would tell me , it was on it's way.. I did this for 4-5 months. Yes, I am running around with no DL. Well, I decided one day on a whim-- [you know the day , your out to run to the bank drive through window ... not going to get out of the car day.. no make up on..just a hurry up day?] Well, I would just run into DL place, tell them the details, they would pull it on the computer, print it, give me DL.
    NO! No! We have to start ALL OVER.... yes take a photo------ now for 4 yrs I have to show this " how did DK'S wife put it" mug shot. hahaha.

    I really admire your working so diligently on getting the right pants fit.. Wish I had some of that in me,ha. Happy reading today..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of those hurry up days Judy - I used to always get caught out when I was having them, by a lady I used to work with who always looked immaculate:). So, you caught yourself out and had your photo taken on the "not to be seen day". Hopefully you won't have to pull it out too often and look at it.

      Delete
  6. I don't particularly like mine either...but hey, I don't look at it at all :<)... your books are proving to be wonderful tools towards your goal Sarah... m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, not looking at your driver's licence photo is a really good solution to the problem.

      Delete
  7. I actually had to show my driving licence the other day to prove I was old enough to by a bottle of wine in a supermarket (I'm 43 by the way!). I'm surprised it was accepted as the photo looks absolutely nothing like me. When it was taken I had very short hair and contact lenses, now I have shoulder length hair and glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, you certainly look a youthful 43 but not that youthful:)

      The supermarket must have been having an ID blitz - given that underage people get into all sorts of venues, I doubt that the ID's are actually inspected closely.

      Delete