Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

What's on the Cutting Table?

Butterick 5687
 Tuesday is my day off, and today I put it to good use by cutting out a selection of summer basics that have been on the list for a long, long, long time.  Such a long time that I think really I am not that motivated to do basics at the moment.  Because I have done lots of them.  But every year I want a casual outfit that is smartish too, so the only way to get the mojo is to get on with it.

I have already started making a pair of trousers from Butterick 5687:


These are in navy drill and although not yet completed, I know they fit nicely.

So, I cut out a second pair in black cotton drill.  Then I cut out a little blazer jacket, again in the same black cotton drill.

Burda 7559
I've used this pattern before  for a loose blazer, so I only needed to cut it out.  I don't want to fully line this jacket as it will just get too hot in our humid summer, so I will probably put a partial lining in.  That is still being thought about...

I had just enough left to eek out a little straight skirt - so I'll have a basic casual wardrobe capsule.  Then I'll need to make some little tops.

So, that should keep my busy...currently I'm working on my blue cotton blouse, blue pants, and then this little job is next on the list.

Sarah Liz

13 comments:

  1. I do better if I do my prep work before hand too, although it rarly happens lol! looks like you've got a godd plan laid out & ready for lots of happy sewing ahead!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing ahead Nanna, but time will tell whether it is happy or filled with those sewing ups and downs:)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see your finished results. It sounds like a great wardrobe capsule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy, I'll need to make some tops as well :)

      Delete
  3. I have the Butterick pattern and will be interested in what you do with it. The pants you have so far do fit nicely, which is the entire struggle with pants isn't it? ANd I love the Burda pattern! It is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the whole pattern, but at this stage am only going to make the pants. Next winter I might make the suit - it's really nice and not too formal.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the Burda is nice too - it's in the petite section of the pants.

      Delete
  4. That's going to be a marvelous suit Sarah. I really like both of your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a nice professional wardrobe shaping up here. I actually miss these type of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary -I'm trying to solve problem of how to wear clothes that are casual but smart at the same time, because I too like these sorts of clothes.

      Delete
  6. ack! "...these types of clothes..." or "...this type of clothing..." Good morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mary - maybe some coffee and a ride to clear the head :) I frequently make grammatical errors while blogging - I had to write a business letter yesterday, and it was hard work reverting back to a brisk, formal writing style!

      Delete