Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

New T Shirt Muslin

I was hoping to have a new knit top to post today but have got rather slowed down by work demands.  But I have done the muslin for my stripey knit top.  I decided it would be prudent, as the knit itself is quite pricey. 

It's soft and drapey, a cotton polyester knit - Japanese.  I only bought a small amount as it was not cheap (One of Spotlight's nicer fabrics).

As I am not experience in making up knits, I decided to use a very simple pattern.  I was also worried about the drapey- ness and the  stripey-ness - not a good combination for a beginner.  So sleeves were vetoed.

 I chose this New Look pattern:

Prudently, I decided to make a muslin out of some horrible, thick, nylon, knit that seemed a good idea at the time ( I think I thought it might work to line stretch fabrics, as stretch lining is next to impossible to find where I live).  But it is so hideous, I decided to sacrifice a piece to trial this top:


And I am glad I did - the neck doesn't sit at all like the picture on the pattern - it is quite boat shaped - I know this sort of wide neck will just fall off my shoulders.  So I am going to raise the neckline a little and make it closer to a crew neck.

I'm quite nervous about this little top - I want it to go well, and the next job is cutting out those slippery stripes...

I better go and get on with it then...

Sarah Liz :)

12 comments:

  1. That looks like its going to be a nice top, I love stripes so you are on a winner with me, its matching them also thats tricky. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thank you, I'm looking forward to showing you soon :)

      Delete
  2. I have countless issues with necks on knit tops. They never seem to match up, although with me it has the opposite effect then it has on you. However, someone suggested to me that I would need to do a FBA, so by that logic you might need to do the opposite i.e. do a small bust adjustment. I am still trying to get it right though, it's a work in progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giggles, luckily most patterns are for small busts - b cup. I'm not quite there, but I am not quite A either, so busts are okay for me. I think Mary's hint about how to do knit necklines is very good and may work for you too.

      Delete
  3. Grr...bitten by the Google monster again! That thing must be quite chunky after devouring countless comments.

    Don't be afraid to sew knit sleeves; they're really quite simple if you ignore most pattern instructions. =) Just sew them in flat and use lots of pins. To me, it makes no sense to set in a knit sleeve when you can take advantage of the stretch of the knit to ease the sleeve. I've never set in a knit sleeve and haven't had any problems. Give it a try! You're a great sewer and I know you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google does some strange things sometimes - gobbled lots of photo's on our stashbuster site. And one day it deleted both of the blogs - that had me in a bit of a panic :).

      Thanks for your vote of confidence and clues about how to put in knit sleeves :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah Liz, I love to sew with knits. There are lots of tips and tricks avaiable. One hint which works well for me: don't follow the directions for the neckline treatment on knit patterns, but cut your neckline on the crossgrain and attach it before sewing it together. Sew almost a complete circle, and then stop. Sew ends together, trim, continue attaching the binding. I know whatever you decide to do will have great results as you are a meticulous sewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, thank you for the tip. I guess once I get the hang of knits, they will be very simple - like all things, basic mastery takes a little bit of practice :)

      Delete
  5. you can do it!some patterns we have to walk away from then come back later & make it our own
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes a break does you good if you are in a real funk about something :)

      Delete
  6. You will be fine with sewing knits! Just take your time and enjoy - imagine all the T's you will be able to whip up ready for the coming summer days...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,- it will be a lovely top. Unfortunately I don't have much knit fabric in the stash - may mean I will have to stash again :)

      Delete