Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Moving on - what shall I make for Spring?

I don't waste too much time being upset because something does not go as planned.  I just learn from the experience and then make new plans.

So, after the jacket did not work out, I started clearing out simple things that do not suit me.  Lipsticks and nail polish in colours that look louche on me and remain unworn.  Actually, I tend not to wear much makeup of any sort, so maybe a further toss is needed. 

 Then I contented myself with cutting up envelopes for scrap paper.  My father always used to do this, but I grew up in an era of plenty, so I used to buy it.  Then one day I asked myself why??  Why throw good paper away only to buy more.

My favourite is this brown paper envelope a utilities bill comes in every quarter:


 Then it was time to think about what to sew next.  I thought to use up some of my black and white patterns while they are still fashionable.  I like black and white though, so fashionable or not I will wear it.

Knit stripe fabric and woven fabric
 I haven't made up a knit garment so I will probably have another interesting learning experience. The woven fabric will be made into trousers - I've already done the muslin.

And the last piece of black and white fabric is just a skirt length (it's 125 cm wide so I get by with just my length).  So I will make a skirt :)

Everything has been washed...

So they are ready to be sewn up...

Well, off to do some work now...

 Have a good day/evening everyone,

Sarah Liz :)

14 comments:

  1. Spring?, oh I forgot that it's now winter in Austrailia! Lovely fabric you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,we are upside down and topsy turvy with our seasons. It is nice fabric...

      Delete
  2. I was confused too! :)

    It's always good to purge. Makes way for new interesting things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it! I think that about old stash sometimes :)

      Delete
  3. I am really taken with your B/W fabric choices. I like the small geometric prints also. I sew a lot of knits, and have only used my sewing machine. I am intimidated by my serger! weenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, yes, the black and whites are lovely. Regarding serger - it took me years to get used to mine, and I am not sure I am entirely comfortable with the relationship yet. I may use the ordinary machine too!

      Delete
  4. I really like the black and white prints (sadly they don't really suit my colouring), I think it's such a smart combo. I have a work colleague who has a knit dress in a similar geometric print and it's very versatile - I'm looking forward to seeing what you make. x
    PS - I can't throw scrap paper out, always useful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacq, I'm not sure they suit mine either, but they are in the stash:) The older I get the less they will suit me, so I better use them now!

      Delete
  5. Always love black/white combinations, you are thinking of Spring, however yesterday I was sat under an umbrella in the sun planning my winter sewing wardrobe! sorting and clearing out, and trying to think of ways of putting some fun and colour into our long dark winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your winter is very long and dark - and cold. I don't miss them at all - although I do miss England. Yes, it does seem strange with our different seasons - summer is our main clothing season, whereas winter would be yours.

      Delete
  6. we're heading towards Fall here in the U.S. enjoy your Spring, can't wait to see what you come up with
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, yes, it was not long ago when I first "met" you that your were going into Spring:)

      Delete
  7. Your first line can be applied in SO many of life's situations. Thank you for the reminder. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete