Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Three cotton shirts in a row...plus one


I haven't been blogging much on this blog this week. Rest assured though, if Sarah Liz is quiet, she is probably busy and will be back...

So, what have I been busy with?  This week I have made another shirt from New Look6963.


New Look 6963.

 I have made this shirt three times now.  I have used a cotton broadcloth that is not very expensive but makes a great serviceable cotton shirt for smart casual wear.  I have only one fabric store within close proximity and they only stock the basics - for those of you in Australia, I am referring to good old Spotlight, the store I love to hate.  Still, it is within walking distance, which is handy for threads, interfacings etc. If I want better fabric I use mail order.

Right, so, variation 3:  This weeks blue variation of New Look 6963.

Front
Back

I think this will look and feel cool on a hot summers day.

My other variations:
Pink version
Original white version
The white blouse is half an inch shorter than the pink and blue blouses.  I always fold out an inch in the bodice because I am very short waisted.  I decided that the shirt would look better with a little bit of this length added back at the hem.  Other than that, it is exactly the same blouse, except that white always looks wider than colours.  In real life it is the same width as the blue and pink version.

If you want to read my review of this blouse go to: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=84939

You will also find a tutorial for this blouse - look in the sidebar of this blog for Tutorial New Look 6963.

I have also made a wrap blouse this year in white pin stripe cotton voile.  The pattern I used was Vogue 8833.  If you want to read my review of this blouse go to:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=84674

Vogue 8833 Wrap Blouse
This brings the sum total of me made shirts to 3 New Look 6963 and one Vogue wrap blouse:
Four shirts this year in total.  I am thrilled with all of them.

Now to finish some me made pants that are half made...

Have a good weekend everyone, wherever you are...

Sarah Liz


28 comments:

  1. You have been busy w/ shirts :) They all look good. My machine is fixed and I am back to sewing. I have two things to post, but my lazy blogging style has kicked in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm glad your machine is back. Looking forward to seeing what you have made...

      Delete
  2. Button down shirts are just so classic. You made them in some fantastic colours. I bet they become wardrobe basics for you. You know I discovered that if I make a pattern repeatedly - say a muslin and two real items - then I've learned a lot more. I made a tone of skirts this summer and I am a lot more confident in that. I'm moving onto pants now and I need to make some button down shirts which is why your series of tutorial was so great for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love classic clothes - always have, always will. I have tried to become fashion forward, but it didn't work :). I find the same as you. I'm making some 7/8th pants at the moment - so far nearly completed two pairs. I'm going to make a long pair so that I manage to tweak the process even more.

      Delete
  3. Lovely shirts. Nothing better than a great cotton shirt you can quickly throw on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! My mission is to add a few button blouses do my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've done so well with everything you have made so far, so I am sure you will manage button down blouses as well :)

      Delete
  5. How busy are you! Like the wrap top, pretty pattern. I've been doing alterations for a friend, hope to tackle something for myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise - unlike you I have not been in hospital. I do hope you make something nice for yourself soon as well :0

      Delete
  6. That blue is lovely! It's a very nice pattern. You're very well on your way to a complete new Summer wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a pretty blue, and I'm going to have a good capsule wardrobe soon :)

      Delete
  7. You are soooo productive! Love your shirts, you've gotten a good amount of effective shirts to match many clothes ... so clever ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosy - I have learnt to plan a little bit so that my clothes all work together :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely - will be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay - summer is not far away now :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, so many shirts! They all look so professionally done, as well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I like making shirts and jackets:)

      Delete
  10. I admire your productivity endlessly. well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I just keep working a little bit every day :)

      Delete
  11. Your shirts are just lovely! I like them all. Great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are working away adding to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was my plan at the begining of the year :)

      Delete
  13. The cotton shirts gives formal and also causal look on wearing it. The 3CF cotton shirts in India are very famous, all of the professionals likes to wear these type of shirts. The cotton shirts are also very easily available in the market with affordable price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Bhavana - these sort of shirts do work for professionals - and a professional should wear neat shirts like these when on a day off and out and about. You would have lovely cottons in India.

    ReplyDelete