Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Weekly Hello and Welcome to New Followers

Hello everyone - another week has gone by.  The seasons are starting to move along - I notice quite a few of you are now getting ready for Fall/autumn sewing.  Downunder, I am getting on with summer sewing so that I actually have a wardrobe of me mades to wear this summer.  Usually I am starting summer sewing far too late, but this year I decided to change that pattern.

At this time of the week I always welcome new followers to my blog - so hello Patrya, Lado and Kelly.  


The Sewing Week That Was:

I finished a blouse.  Most of you are familiar with it from the tutorial I ran this week while I was making the blouse.


The Tutorial: - Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.  I actually enjoy putting tutorials together and plan to make more in the future.  The first will be on buttonholes, because quite a few of us do have anxiety about making the.  I will think about starting this in a week or so - I need to get over this tutorial first and get on with making some of my summer wardrobe. 

Some of you have requested a tutorial on a collar and stand shirt.  I actually have one of these that I want to make up soon.  I've made them before, so I'll document the process as a tutorial.  I probably won't get around to this for a few weeks yet - I've need to apply for  postgraduate courses over the next two months, and each one is very time consuming and tedious.   I think the study is easier than the application process:) ) (In psychology, for those of you who are wondering what I am planning to study -  if I can get in).

On the Sewing Table:




 I am going to make a blue shirt next - just the same as my pink shirt.  As some of you already know, I love basics for everyday casual wear. My  first job when I started this blog was to tackle this task.  In some respects, quite boring.  But I know that in a few weeks time I will have an everyday wardrobe that works for me. Then I can make some more interesting or fashionable garments, or things that take my fancy.   

Yes, I know, I am disciplined :).  Or so it seems.  The truth is I just got fed up with not having anything reasonable to wear as everyday casual, and couldn't stand the thought of another season like that ! :)

I wonder what your sewing plans are - are you in the middle of something interesting at the moment?

Have a great week everyone, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz

8 comments:

  1. Didn't get a chance to follow along with your tutorial. I did get the pattern though, and your tutorial will be used as a resource when I do make the top. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faye- the tutorial will still be there for you :)

      Delete
  2. SarahLiz, I think you are doing exactly the kind of sewing you need and want. These are pieces which will be workhorses in your wardrobe. I had a basic wardrobe when working, and used scarves and jackets to spice it up. My style changed quite a bit after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, basics are the backbone of any wardrobe. I guess you still have them now, but can mix with other pieces that aren't so wearable in the workplace.

      Delete
  3. I wrote in my blog a few days ago about my need to sew a wardrobe staple for me ... I need casual clothes to go to buy bread, hehe! Sorry, I'm not disciplined like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so like what you make Rosy, but you are right, we do all need wardrobe basics. Sometimes I think I am too disciplined :)

      Delete
  4. I think I alternate between interesting and basic items. I need to get more disciplined about colour co-ordinating my wardrobe, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have a good selection of basic items, and some fantastic interesting garments - but not OTT - everything works nicely. I need to wear more colours though, and still stay co-ordinated.

      Delete