My first project for BeaJay's Scary September challenge is finished - already!! I expected to have real problems with this project because not all trouser patterns suit my linear body shape (well, most of the ones I have tried have not), and also because I am working with stripes. Double Trouble.
I am so excited by finishing these pants that I am forgetting my manners - if you want to find out more about BeaJay's Scary September visit: www.ontheroadtosewwear.blogspot.com. You'll find all sorts of people tackling all sorts of projects that have scared them
The pattern I used was Kwik Sew 2960. It is sized for stretch fabrics, and is a fairly ordinary, classic line pant. I decided to start with this pattern, fully expecting to have to either:
1. Muslin my way through an entire collection of patterns or
2. Use up my substantial stash making lots and lots of muslins and trying to tweak them to change them to work for my small hips and thighs.
This is the pattern:
|Kwik Sew 2960|
Turns out to be a well spent $1.00 (which almost makes up for the small fortune I have spent on patterns, but that's another story...).
I did make a muslin out of a piece of tough old stable knit that I found in an op shop but I was so keen to get this post up to show you my pants I forgot to take photos of the muslin. Suffice to say you wouldn't have seen much, because it was in black.
I thought the fit was good enough for now, and that I would proceed with the main job - otherwise I would put it off in case I ruined it - you know the sort of negative stuff we engage in sometimes.
So, I plunged in, I took the scary jump.
The first problem I encountered was that the fabric was skewed - you know how the warp and weft fabrics can distort. You are supposed to straighten this as the skew can affect the hang.
A good night's sleep and I was ready to move on...
The next morning I had one of those light bulb moments:
So another muslin was needed from the op shop black knit that looked, smelt and handled like old rubber. And yes, the pants slipped over my hips and bottom easily.
This slight change of plans (I tend to do this mid course if I see an opportunity to solve one of my other sewing problems) meant I cut the zip allowance off and stitched the front closed.
I also worked out that I have a very long rise - so I lowered the crotch twice. Then I wondered if the shape was anything like that of my crotch curve experiment template:
So I placed it over the new proposed stitching line - the gold tacking that you can see above indicates where this is.
(For those of you who want a chuckle, the crotch curve posts start here - not a technique found in sewing books though! ):http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/pants-crotch-experiment-part-1.html
Now, the finished product - here is the waistband:
The front view (and I have cut off my feet in this photo - and for those of you with good eyes you will seel I corrected the lopsided pattern at the hem - I have a slight scoliosis, and I often shorten one leg of trousers - so the pattern line at the hem matched perfectly in the end - a serendipitous mistake!)
|Front of Pants|
|Side of Pants|
I am very pleased and will love wearing these pants (you were right, Mary!).
As it is still early in September, I will have to think what else I need to tackle for this challenge.
Sarah Liz :)