Pages

Monday, September 2, 2013

Blog Writer's Block - Do you suffer from it?


A few days ago I read that a blogger was having a case of writer's block.  I don't want to say who it is in case I embarrass her.  I did leave a comment, as did other people - and many of the comments were very considered.

I have been mulling over blog writers block since I read this post.  I don't seem to suffer from it, and I wondered why.  Then I realised it is because I have a background that has given me the skills to overcome this problem.

I have a background, not only in nursing (very handy to earn an income) but also in the creative arts (Bachelor of Arts, Hons 1, majors in Drama and Screen.).  I have also done a couple of art units here and there.   What I have learnt is that there is no such thing as inspiration. First comes perspiration, and that can lead to inspiration.

I also learnt in drama to improvise - we had lovely exercises such as "in pairs, rhyming couplets, 6 lines, two minutes and on stage..."  You certainly just have to get on with it without too much thought ...and it really is amazing the ideas you can come up with.  I frequently use this sort of technique when blogging...

Because...

There are times when I have no idea what to blog about, but I sit down and blog anyway.  I find that this always works.  I keep anchored to my themes of sewing /style or blog related activities - I don't deviate into talking about much else (occasionally I do) as then I lose the focus of the blog.

I don't have hard and fast rules - I improvise as I go along, but with a structure behind it.  I find that rules tend to stifle ideas that float out.  Any idea I have I jot down - I may or may not use them - but sometimes an idea leads to another idea that I will blog about.

Sometimes I have ideas that come in a rush - I just jot them down in my "not to be published blog" - if you look on my profile you will see a third blog,  Sew Style Notebook.  Some ideas are deleted, as they are too silly for words (pardon the pun).

I am quite lucky in that I have a mind that is always seeing ideas - I am sure quite a few of you are like that too - most sewers have lots of ideas, especially about what to make next...

And I never criticise myself for anything I've done - a blog is a work in both progress and process - a bit like life really.  I do try to improve.  For instance, I have never really thought about how to write a blog - and now I am starting to think about it, and trying to share my ideas with you.  Over time, I will get better at this, and may one day have posts that can really help people develop their blog.

Well, that's it from me for today.

Take care, Sarah Liz :)

P.S - I'm still working on the Bloglovin problem - I did get an email from them, but the instructions did not work, so I have emailed them back again...!  I didn't have any problem installing the stylethestashsewalong.blogspot Bloglovin button, so I am not sure what the glitch is here.  


12 comments:

  1. I have blog block all the time, but it is mainly due to me being lazy LOL I have two pieces of clothing to blog about, but just have not taken the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love your honesty!! Although I doubt you are lazy, you do have quite a lot to do at your place :)

      Delete
  2. I too suffer from writers block. There is lots I think I could talk about, but quite frankly it might bore you all to tears and I talk myself out of writing it down. I'm quite shy and not over confident. I thought blogging might have bought me more out of my shell. Its a long journey:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect a lot of bloggers might be shy - blogging and sewing are not the sort of things a confident party person might do! It does take time to overcome shyness and social anxiety - just keep being aware of it and working on it, and mix with people who accept you. Some of us need our shells and space more than others.

      Delete
  3. If I think of blogging as a simple conversation, then writer's block doesn't seem to creep in. I am trying to write as if I were talking to someone in front of me and not be too formal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good way of approaching blogging L.

      Delete
  4. I don't have writers block, I always have something I can rattle on about, but since my blog is fairly small I feel like I might be talking to myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawnta - yes some days are like that in the real world too :)

      Delete
  5. I've been there. Sometimes I have no idea what to blog about and other times I have tons of ideas. I write the ideas down as blog titles and keep them in draft mode until I can get to them. Also, when I sew, my mind wonders and I find myself wondering about something that I want to know more about (usually sewing related) and I look into it and use it as a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That approach seems to work for a lot of people, jotting ideas down for later. I find my mind stays quite focused when sewing - as a distraction from everyday worries. It's interesting that it frees your mind up a bit...

      Delete
  6. I let myself stay quiet when I feel as though I have nothing to say. My blogging is very pleasurable and I don't seem to have a timetable for it. Occasionally I will get stuck with construction of an blog and that is usually because I'm still mulling something over. Oh, and I have posts which are just reporting...and others which are more considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes quiets days are needed, with blogging and in real life. I think we can all get stuck occasionally, but as you say, it's all part of the process.

      Delete