Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Make a Garment A Month Challenge Starts October



Hi Everyone,

Before I write the post on this challenge, I would like to welcome a new follower to SarahLizSewStyle - Sufy,  who is following via bloglovin.

Now about the Make a Garment a Month Challenge, which starts in October.  I was musing to myself on a blog post, that I was going to make a garment a month no matter what else is going on in my life. Now it is probably obvious that I have been making more than that, but I am going to have a few more obligations again in the next little while.  My promise to myself is to make sure I find time to make one garment a month, instead of not sewing at all when I get busy.

Then some of you expressed interest in this challenge, so this has become a global challenge :) I'm planning this to be ongoing - just to encourage everyone to sew and to connect up via sewing and meet other bloggers too:)

So far these lovely bloggers have joined the challenge:

Nothy Lane www.aftagley.blogspot.com

Gaye - www.hotsewing.blogspot.com

Delia- www.deliascloset.blogspot.com

BeaJay - www.ontheroadtosewwear.blogspot.com

Judith - www.doobee64.blogspot.com

Leonie-www.sewleonie.blogspot.com

L - www.yousewgirl.blogspot.com

Velosewer- www.cleverthinking99.com

Louise- www.fromno23.blogspot.com

Rhonda- www.rhondabuss.blogspot.com

Judy- www.sewblessedmaw.blogspot.com

Towanda- www.lifeissewsewgood.blogspot.com

Christy- www.beezekneesfashions.blogspot.com

Charmel - no blog that I am aware of - let me know if you have one Charmel. 


*
Those of you that know me know that I am not a "rules" person - this is your personal challenge to make a garment a month.  I think being in a group is motivating, and is a great way to "show and tell" to other people who also share a love of sewing.

However, I am going to have a couple of rules which are pretty basic:

1.   The garment must be for you and not for someone else - this challenge is also about personal sewing space and your sewing needs.  This is special sewing- for- you time.

2.  Choose a garment at the beginning of the month that you want to make up as your garment of the month.  It can be from a pattern, an idea, a picture from a magazine, snoop shopping - whatever you like.  Post this choice for the month on your blog and tell everyone what pattern you are using or what choice you are making. 

3. Blog about the garment when you have finished it (and in between if you want to).  Please take a photo of yourself wearing the garment - and if you feel that you would like to, style the garment as well.


(I know Rhonda is planning her own twist on this challenge - to work on UFO's - that's okay too - my rules are quite flexible - so long as you make one garment a month - even if it is really quick and simple).
 
*
I've decided that BeaJay's suggestion of a monthly round-up of garments is a good one.  If this challenge becomes big, then I will think about what to do:)  It would be great it if did, but I am really more interested in encouraging everyone to connect and sew.

If you are taking part in this challenge, I will be wanting to post pictures on posts about what you are making - I don't normally "take" pictures from other blogs, but I am assuming that you will not mind - of course I will be posting the link to your blog so that people can find you as well.  If you do not want me to do this, please let me know.  I think it is a great way of introducing everyone, but you may have different views, and I will respect those.

If you want to link back to my blog, you are welcome to do so.

I've made a button so that you can put it on your blog - you will find it on the sidebar.

I am also putting a copy of the blog roll in the top bar of my blog, along with the "rules".


*
If you want to join, let me know by leaving a comment at the end of this post.

That's it for today, ladies, so let's go and sew - and I am really looking forward to seeing your garment choice for the month of October 2013.

Sarah Liz :)

39 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah Liz
    Yes I am still going along with the challenge now I have read the rules. I must concentrate on other things so this commitment is good for me. I have a coat I must try and finish before winter sets in, apart from that I havent thought what I will make .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise - my rules are always very flexible and more about encouraging us all to get sewing :)

      Delete
  2. It starts already in October - great! This challeng is good for me as it gives time to think, make and finish garments.
    So count me in :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - otherwise nothing gets made, or you just make the same old things :)

      Delete
  3. I have to figure it out why I have issue with the button and then I will place it immidately on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly works on the blogger platform - I have tested it on my test blog (I don't publish that). Let me know what happens :)

      Delete
  4. I wish I felt like I had enough time to participate. Darnit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I - and if you get a bit of time, why not start, and join when you can - this will be ongoing...

      Delete
    2. I think I will! I didn't realize it would be an on-going project!

      Delete
  5. Count me in - I have just come back from Holland with a whole new stash!! the fabric there was so cheap: from 1 euro a metre!!! so I just had to buy some (a lot!!). Now I need a challenge to keep me motivated :) http://jolandassewingcorner.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in Jolanda - I have stash envy. It's nice to meet a new blogger as well ---I'll be going to your blog to say hi later this evening :)

      Delete
  6. I'm in, Sarah Liz! I seriously need more clothes right now so this challenge is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic Andrea - and don't we always need something new and nice :)

      Delete
  7. Hi everyone - I'll be adding you all to the blogroll tomorrow - it's a working day today, so I don't have time. Happy October Plans...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Fantastic Dorothy - always lovely to have you with us :)

      Delete
  9. Hopefully I can get back into the sewing game. September was super busy - mostly good. I have lots of intentions for this month, so I might be able to squeak out more than a single garment. We shall see! Thanks for the encouragement SL. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure - these challenges keep me encouraged too...I'm glad September was a good month for you, L - and one little simple this is all you need to do, although fantastic if you make more of course. But you know me - I don't like to pressure people, more support them to do something :)

      Delete
  10. I would like to join, too, while continuing to try to use up some stash. For October I want to make the Rachel Comey skirt from Vogue 1247.
    www.sewsometimes.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in Kathy - looking forward to seeing your version of this skirt - I have the pattern as well, as yet unmade :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for organising this Sarah Liz - it's just the incentive I need. I'm going to make Burdastyle's Danielle. You can follow my progress at hotsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaye, I will be following your progress - I have put you on the blog roll...I tend to do a big enjoyable blog afternoon on Sundays :)

      Delete
  12. And of course now I also have more blogs to follow.Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great way for bloggers to meet other blogging sewers :)

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a fun challenge. I will give it my best shot.
    http://robinsbobbin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - I'll add you to the blog roll :)

      Delete
  14. I really need this challenge, but I don't really blog. But! I will defiantly work on this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JB, some people are not blogging - but it would be nice to have a photo to share with everyone. Perhaps you can email me - or start your blog :) And if you prefer to sew a long privately, that's okay too :)

      Delete
  15. SarahLiz, I would love to Join, count me in please. This will really help me stay on track with my goal to grow my sewing knowledge.

    itsmelaniedarling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Posted my plan for October. Quite a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops, I put the reply, see below, as a comment :)

      Delete
  17. I'll be over there to have a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sarah! I can not resist this challenge:-) I'd love to join, count me in please! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana, - you're in - and very welcome :) I've added you to the blog roll.

      Delete
  19. Hello there!

    I'm a new blogger and I'm teaching myself how to sew! If it's not too late, I'd love to join in on this fun challenge :-)

    Thanks so much!

    -Candyce
    www.thesewcialte.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candyce - no, you are not too late at all - I'll add you to our blog roll :)

      Delete
  20. I think I'm going to try this. I have been off the blogging wagon too long and need something to get me going while I'm working on my other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farhana - it's a pleasure to have you with us. I've added you to the blog roll.

      Delete