Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Make a Garment a Month Challenge, starts October

 A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to challenge myself to making a garment a month and I few of you indicated that you would also like to join this challenge.

My personal challenge is to extend my sewing repertoire and skills while resuming a busier life (I had a quiet patch for the start of this year).  Usually when I get busy, the activity that "gives" is the one that also gives me great pleasure - sewing.  So I am going to make sure I keep going by sewing, even if only in small blocks of time, every day.  That way I will make a garment a month. 

Some of you have also indicated that you find sewing difficult - so ladies (I don't think I have any male readers), lets put time aside for ourselves and sew our style.

If you want to sew more than one garment a month, that is great - I am sure I will too, but the primary goal is choosing one really nice garment a month to make to completion.

I've made a list of those of you who want to join.  If I have missed anyone, or got your details wrong, let me know.

Nothy Lane www.aftagley.blogspot.com

Gaye - www.hotsewing.blogspot.com

Delia- www.deliascloset.blogspot.com

BeaJay - www.ontheroadtosewwear.blogspot.com

Judith - www.doobee64.blogspot.com

Leonie-www.sewleonie.blogspot.com

L - www.yousewgirl.blogspot.com

Velosewer- www.cleverthinking99.com


Charmel - no blog that I am aware of - let me know if you have one Charmel.

I've made a button for the challenge - this is the image only - but there is a grab button on the side bar, just under "About Me". 


Officially starts October 2013

I'm not going to set up a separate blog for this as this is also your own personal challenge and sewing journey.  It would be great to document what you make though - shall I put the finished garments on my blog, or do you think a photo service like Picasa would be a good idea?

I'll write another post on Monday 31st September with more information.

If you want to challenge your self and join, please leave a comment for me or email me, stylishsarah251@gmail.com.

Sarah Liz :)

13 comments:

  1. Either would be fine with me - easier perhaps just to do a monthly "review" on the blog. Up to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay - I think that is a great idea - I've seen other bloggers do that as well.

      Delete
  2. Count me in. I have a few pieces that I want to finish up, so I am going to add a twist for myself and not only fiinish the garment to completion, but clean out my UFOs in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea - those UFO's deserve to be out in the light of day - feel free to add any twists you like :)

      Delete
  3. I'll join you. I have the worst sewing ADD so it would be nice if I focused on one garment to take to completion while I'm working willy nilly on alll of the other projects I start and the let linger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy - that's a really great approach and I'm sort of going to work that way too :)

      Delete
  4. Join me in SarahLIz.. Sounds like a great motivator.
    Either way would be fine..just what ever is easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you Judy - and you can still use stash :) I think BeaJay's idea was really good, so I'll probably go with that :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to fix my first comment. I would like to join in. My goal is to make a challenging garment every month.

      Delete
    2. That's a really good idea - start simple Towanda, and work in small steps towards your goal :)

      Delete
  6. I'll try and join in, with Christmas and winter lurking (I really must make some thermal curtains for winter) I should still be able to manage 1 item at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise - it will be nice to have you joining in - and if you get busy, just make a simple item :)

      Delete