Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Scary September Challenge

 It took me weeks of making up my mind about this fabric:



As you can see, I took a photo of it in March, and had grand plans to make a pair of trousers with it - I had seen a patterned pair in a shop, paired with a navy trench coat, and I liked the idea.  So I rushed to Spotlight and they had some blue patterned twill - on special for $5-00 a metre.  So I bought two metres.

Then I changed my mind.  I was not sure that I could wear such obviously patterned pants.  So I stashed the fabric.

Then I saw a blazer in a fashion magazine in a similar fabric.  So I pulled it out again.  I thought long and hard about a blazer but then I was not sure that I would wear such an obviously patterned blazer.  So I stashed the fabric again.

Then the fabric kept glaring at me.  You know how some fabric does that.  You bought me, and now you won't use me.  Glare and Sulk, from the fabric.

I pulled it out again.  Blazer or Pants?  Trousers or Blazer?  Jacket or Pants?

So in the end, I thought I better just do something.  And one of the somethings I have been trying to solve this year is find the perfect pants pattern.  So I thought I would use this scary fabric and hope to make the perfect pair of stretch pants.

Now that's something to be scared of. So I thought I better step off with BeaJay and her friends, and join Scary September.  Find out more at:  www.ontheroadtosewwear.blogspot.com

And as  bonus, I'll be using stash which counts for the 2013 Style the Stash Sew-a-Long at:
www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com


26 comments:

  1. That fabric is going to make cool pants. Love the idea with a navy trench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay - I'll have to watch the pattern match, but I'm starting to warm to this project now :)

      Delete
  2. These are going to be fabulous! I can't wait to see them! I'm hankering for a crazy pair of print pants too, and I saw the perfect fabric yesterday... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliet - I can't believe you didn't buy the fabric - some part of my brain seems to not know how to say no in fabric stores :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely fabric, Im glad Im not the only one that has a certain piece of fabric lurking in their stash, that never gets used. Look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lots of those, Louise - I think we all do have those old lurky bits in our stash :) (patterns too).

      Delete
  4. I think this fabric will result in a lovely pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric will make great pants. I look forward to seeing your end result.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone else - a pair of pants in this print will look smashing and very on trend. And what have you got to lose really with $10 worth of fabric? That's what I try to remind myself when it comes to my stash because I'm guilty of stashing fabric because I can never settle on a 'worthy' project for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, thank you - and yes, we tend to sit on our stashes for all sorts of reasons like that, don't we :)

      Delete
  7. I think you're small enough to get away with it, go for it! & with a navy jacket you'll be stunning!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen - you've just reminded me I also have a navy jacket somewhere :)

      Delete
  8. I never would have thought of trousers for this fabric, but they are going to look so modern and trendy! I say, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn - out of my comfort zone, but I shall live dangerously for once :)

      Delete
  9. They're going to be awesome!!!I tried on floral patterned pants in the store and they looked horrendous. I have a fabric that's dark blue with black diamond shapes...maybe that'll be a better option :)

    Be bold!! Jump off that cliff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, florals don't always work - just as well you didn't make a pair. Just hold up the blue and black fabric to see how it would look as pants - fold it around your leg to get an idea.

      Delete
  10. What fabulous fabric - really looking forward to seeing your make :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these will be a great pair of pants. As for a jacket, go for a burst of color like canary yellow or hot pink. Navy blue is conventional and expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, that's a great idea - I do have navy jackets to use in the meantime - sometimes it takes a while to find the right fabric.

      Delete
  12. Oh I love the fabric and I love it for pants. FYI, I find the best pants patterns are from Style Arc. Also, I am going to use your tutorial series to make my shirts for the same challenge. I can't wait to get home for work today (8 hours to go...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of people seem to use Style Arc - I think they are based in Australia, so the postal cost will be okay for me - not so good for you. Good luck with the shirt - and use the instruction sheet as well. It's a simple little shirt -do make a quick muslin first to check the fit.

      Delete
  13. I hope you love them! I think they will be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be quite fun as well - I'm warming to them :)

      Delete