Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Scary September - Skirt Success


I am so pleased with this skirt, I decide to showcase it in a frame :)

I made this skirt as part of the Scary September challenge, being held by Beverley (BeaJay) at:

The challenges I set for myself was to  use the Surefit system to draft a skirt.  I had previously used a surefit template to draft a pair of pants, but they did not work out well for me.  So I sort of gave up with the concept at that time.  Now seemed a good opportunity to try again.  I thought I couldn't go wrong with a skirt.

Surefit can be found here: www.surefitdesigns.com


 This is the muslin:


The muslin worked beautifully.  This block is called a straight skirt, but it is very slightly A line.  I decided that would work well for me and the fabric I had chosen.  Just enough of an A-Line to make walking easy, but not too much to swamp me.

I also wondered what sort of zip to put in.  I usually do a lapped zipper insertion, and very infrequently use invisible zips.  The first time I put an invisible zip in it went in perfectly, so I don't have an scary thoughts about putting in invisible zips.  Or do I? Do I avoid them?  So I used a scrap of fabric and trialled an invisible zip:


Again, went in easily - I do need to nudge closer to the edge at the top of the zip, but this was a two minute trial, not the real thing.  Anyway, I decided that the fabric was busy enough that an invisible zip was really not needed. So I cut the skirt out with enough seam allowance at the back to allow a lapped zipper insertion:


This works nicely on such a busy fabric and looks quite neat inside as well:

The skirt was simple to make up and the only problem I had was that the hemline dipped at the front and was raised at the back.  I am not sure if this was the way I drew the pattern, but I did have to spend some time levelling the hem, which was a pest.  I'll have to put a note on the pattern so I remember next time that there is a problem.

Okay, now for the pretty pictures - I'm having an unruly hair day today.  This is the front:


And this is the back view:


I'm very happy with this little skirt.  As it is for normal everyday wear, it is not lined.  It gets hot and humid where I live, and there is nothing worse than wearing a lining.  I'll slip a petticoat on if I wear stockings, or in winter when I wear thick tights.

I am also very happy in that I think I have also discovered my style.  Which means I have been on a little reassessment of my style self, and who I am now in life.  Which means I have been reassessing the trouser project (but that is a story for another day)... but I think that my little patterned trouser idea:


Fabric that was going to become pants:

Has now become my little patterned dress idea.  Yes, I think Sarah Liz is going to start exploring the world of dresses next.

Keep happy and healthy, wherever you are...

Sarah Liz :)


22 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that skirt! You are going to get a heap of wear out of it over summer - easy to change the look with a coloured top. And dresses - can't wait to see which style you will whip up first...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judith - yes, I have two very colourful t-shirts that will work well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so pretty, and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt is lovely on you and being one who loves skirts and dresses, I say, give that dress a try!!! I really like the print you used for the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda - yes,I'm looking forward to dresses - they never suited my lifestyle before :)

      Delete
  5. Great fitting skirt. I love doing invisible zippers and hate doing so lapped ones ;-) Yours looks good from the inside. I can never get the lapped over part to lap and stay flat. I say what every method you like go for it. Your skirt is really pretty and the slight A works well for you! Now go for the dress. And thanks for link to SureFit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting how we all prefer different ways of doing things - and I agree, stick with what works best. Do enjoy the Surefit site - lots of reviews on pattern review.

      Delete
  6. great job on the skirt, I haven't done zippers in years but I'm tackeling one lol!love the skirt, looks great on you!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Just tack the skirt in, and remember to move the slider up or down past the needle - don't try to go around it :)

      Delete
  7. I love,love this skirt, It fits you wonderfully. and the fabric is so pretty..
    what a great /fun sewing project. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, aren't you so pretty in that skirt! I love it, and hope you make many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall Mary, whenever I find nice fabric and have used up a bit more stash :)

      Delete
  9. Love that skirt, it looks great, and the shape suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - it gives me a bit of shape :)

      Delete
  10. Ohhh! I love your skirt so much and you look great in it. Looking forward to see your dress:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - looks like I better make the dress next :)

      Delete
  11. That is a gorgeous skirt. What a wonderful job you have done with it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete