Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A Quick and Simple White Skirt...


Hello everyone,

My approach over the last few weeks has been the "Sew a Little Bit Every Day".  This works really well with simple projects.  (For more complex projects I do prefer a little bit of time set aside to think problems through - this works well if integrated with simple sewing as well).

Summer is coming, and I have been busy making a few basic items of clothing - the sort of thing you wear everyday around the house or for basic errands.

This is one of them - a simple skirt made out of stretch cotton twill (purchased from Spotlight).  I can't tell you what the pattern is, because I only have something I traced some years ago.  I didn't label it, other than "straight skirt".   Very simple sew it all together side seams, back seam, insert lapped zip, add waistband, do hem and back slit.

I think I'll just let the pictures tell the story:
Skirt front - I'm trying to learn to smile more at the camera!

Skirt Back - with RTW t-shirt that needs a sway back alteration!


And the side view.

 Thats it for today!

And blogger is doing strange things with the photo interface and typesetting, and a thunderstorm has just arrived so the power might go down,  so I might just say goodbye at this point and see you all soon!

Sarah Liz :) 




40 comments:

  1. What a fabulous skirt! It'll get tons of use during the summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candyce - I like making clothes you actually end up wearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skirt SarahLiz. I need to make more now that I've got started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it becomes a little easier as time goes on :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice skirt...[looks good with the stripe top]. I love the easy garments, that you get lots of wear from..Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of a crisp white skirt for summer! You will get a lot of wear out of this over the coming months. And it will be fantastic with any number of tops in your wardrobe - great idea to whip this little beauty up ~ might just have to take a leaf out of your book ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith - you are right on all fronts - this will be a great staple. Please do take a leaf out of my book :-)

      Delete
  6. Always impressed by people who have the confidence & good habits to successfully wear light coloured bottoms. A WHITE skirt? That is true bravery. I'm a lot jealous. Even my wedding dress was not white!

    http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a tricky colour, and I try not to eat beetroot when wearing white - you know what happens then :-)

      Delete
  7. I think doing a little bit of sewing each day is the key to getting things done - in our busy lives you've got to make the most of whatever time you have. Your skirt will be perfect for summer, it looks fab with the striped tee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristy :) . It's essential to find just that bit of me time every day.

      Delete
  8. I really like that look,white skirt navy striped top. I totally agree with the sewing a little at a time. I do that on a regular basis and it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a little often adds up, and then the occasional longer spell is lovely :). I like this classic look too.

      Delete
  9. Your new cute white skirt will be oh-so-perfect for summertime wear. A fresh, cool look with the navy top. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you can't go wrong with navy and white - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, as much as I wear white for church. I don't think I've ever had a casual white shirt. This might be added to my list. Your outfit is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy - it is a nice colour to wear in summer and goes with lots of other colours and patterns too :)

      Delete
  12. Classic. Navy and white is a timeless combination. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh, lovely skirt! I like the whole outfit, simple but really cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that will be a very basic workhorse. It's fabulous. g

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah Liz, great skirt, looks fabulous on you! And, great smile as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great basic skirt! Inspires me to get my one out of the planning pile. White looks so nice but my one will be brown - I'm prone to coffee spills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea - I've been known to dye my white garments with t-stains in very strong tea!

      Delete
  18. Perfect and the nautical look is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It may be a simple skirt - but it is very cute and I am sure that you will get a lot of wear out of it - very versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simple projects give you such a GRAND feeling of accomplishment! Love the skirt.

    ReplyDelete