Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Make a Garment a Month Challenge Starts today...


Hi Everyone - we're up and running with lots of you coming on board- which is fantastic - we need to do all we can to encourage everyone's sewing efforts.

This is a challenge that is really about you, not me and my blog - it's just that all challenges have to have a home base somewhere.  So I will be thinking of you all and making sure I catch up with you all on your blogs.

I do ask that you grab the button in the sidebar and put it on your blog so that other people can join in and feel connected to the wider sewing community.  I've found it a fantastic experience and it would be lovely to share that around.

If you are new to this blog, and want to join the challenge, just leave me a comment or email me, stylishsarah251@gmail.com so that I can add you to the blog roll.

I have posted the rules, such as they are, in the Top Bar - go to the Make a Garment a Month Challenge and you will find them there.  The blog roll is also there.  Please do label your garment on your blog as your Make a Garment a Month garment.

Of course, many of you make more than one garment a month, so keep going - but pick one as your garment.  And some of you struggle with time - I would suggest in that case picking something really simple or a TNT and doing just a tiny bit every day as your "me" time - and you will have a garment at the end as well.

You can really do anything you like - some of you want to use stash - that's a great idea, especially for those of you in the 2013 Style the Stash Sew A Long which I am facilitating - and so many of you in this doing such wonderful work to make this blog a great success. - so far well over 570 yards has been used up by our stylish sewers.  Our address: www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com

*****
My October garment will be a simple dress - it is years since I have made one.  I have problems fitting my back, so want to work on that issue and get something slightly wearable made by the end of the month.

I've picked New Look 6095 - the picture is not clear, I downloaded it:



This is a simple shift with bust darts, back zip and back darts.  I am going to make the version with sleeves.

I have chosen a simple black and white print - it's a quilting cotton.  I don't like using craft cottons for dresses because they tend to be too stiff, but I think this will be fine for a first dress - it won't be perfect and the pattern on this will help hide the fact.
 



I was going to make patterned pants out of the fabric, but after seeing so many pairs from lots of cheap outlets, I decided to move away from a very mainstream trend (which means also that the trend is nearing the end of it's cycle) and make a dress from it instead.

Looking forward to seeing your plans, or for those of you that don't post plans, the finished garment at the end of October

22 comments:

  1. 'That will look nice in the fabric you've chosen. I havent yet decided what to do I still have my Scary September challenge to do, yes I know its October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have been so busy during September - so I am sure that you will gather ideas once you have time :). It's only just October :)

      Delete
  2. I like the pattern and the fabric that you chose. It sounds like a fun challenge. I read your last post about the challenge but I am still thinking should I join or just watching:)) I'll let you know if I join.. Best of luck on the new dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and you can watch for now - there is no pressure at all, and should not be. Some challenges do get a bit overwhelming :)

      Delete
  3. Loving both the pattern and the fabric - might just have to sneak this pattern into my next trip to Spotlight. I am also planning on making a dress for my first garment - the fabric was washed today ready for cutting tomorrow - let the fun begin ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - you're starting nice and early in the month, great idea - a little bit everyday like you are doing and there will soon be a new dress for Judith :)

      The pattern I am using is a nice little one - there are 8 reviews on pattern review - mostly favourable. Nice for hot weather.

      Delete
  4. I like the dress you've chosen. Once you get your fit issues sorted out, it has the potential to be your tnt dress pattern.
    My first garment will be a skirt. I have a lovely stretch linen in dark brown. I'll be making an almost pencil skirt (ie ever so slightly flared), lined, with invisible zip, from my SFD dress kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leonie. The SFD skirt is really nice - I made it up recently. I'll have to tag my post so you can look at it under labels. The width is just right for walking (at about knee length). Good luck :)

      Delete
  5. I'm really excited since I'm adding a bit of a twist by making myself empty out my UFO drawer. Now, what to pick first? Maybe a black cashmere coat that has been languishing for FAR too long. We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A black cashmere coat should be out and about and seen, I quite agree :) It's the right time of year in your part of the world to think about winter coats :)

      Delete
  6. I like the pattern you have chosen-it suits you. That is a good point about seeing a style in the outlet stores...means they are on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - yes, not only on the way out, but you look like everybody else too - I don't sew to look like everybody else :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I just saw your sewalong now! Looks like fun and very practical as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it will be fun and practical, for lots of people :)

      Delete
  8. I love this pattern, it looks like it will be a comfortable dress. Can't wait to see the finished look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Awilda - it's a pretty style, and the muslin does feel comfortable :)

      Delete
  9. I made that New Look dress last year, but it was when i first started sewing, so it has a few issues that i never bothered to fix, so i only wore it one time and now it's gathering dust in my closet! http://soisewedthis.blogspot.com/2012/08/so-i-sewed-this-and-im-wearing-it-oh-my.html I love the fabric you picked, i think it will be perfect for this style dress. looking forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I think we all have our sewing past unworn in our cupboards - but what a great reminder of how far you have come :). I'll pop over to your blog after I have finished what I have to do today and have a look at your version :)

      Delete
  10. What a neat idea! I want to join in - can I do this with historical fashion/garb? I'm in a reenactment group, and this seems like a great incentive to pick up the pace on my costuming! :D

    ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Laura - There are no rules that the garments have to be from this century - it will be fun seeing what you make. I've added you to the blogroll.

      Delete