Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Hello, Welcome to New Followers and Answers to Comments





It's that time of the week again - Sunday, the end of another week - and we are getting very close to the end of the year - but I'm sure you don't need me to remind you of that :)

I would like to welcome five new followers to my blog - Marta, Susan, Diana, Angie and Kathleen, all following via Bloglovin.  And a belated welcome to Karen.

*****


I'm currently facilitating two challenges - one a stashbuster, the 2013 Style the Stash Sew A Long. This has been running for a few months now and will finish on December 31st this year.  Some of our contributors are amazing sewers, and together we have sewn over 600 yards of stash.  Quite an effort... you can find us at www.stylethestashsewalong.blogspot.com

The second challenge is ongoing and more self directed - the Make a Garment and Month Challenge.  Three garments have been completed already and are posted in a Gallery dedicated to this challenge.  You can find that at the top of this blog.  Every participant has their web address linked, so you can go and visit directly to find out more about who's doing what.

*****
This week I received a  comment from Mo who is making New Look 6963 - a simple shirt pattern.  I did tutorial on this shirt.

Mo I understand you to say that your neck edge is smaller than your collar.  There could be a number of reasons for this:

1.  You have not traced or cut the correct size - check your pattern pieces and see if you have cut correctly.  Multisized patterns can be tricky.

2.  You have not cut carefully enough - if you cut the collar just a little larger then it won't fit.  Ditto if your seam allowances are not correct.  Check your finished collar against the pattern pieces (minus seam allowances) and see if it is correct.

3.  The neck edge was stay stitched.  The pattern asks you to clip the pattern before attaching the collar.  If you have not clipped, then you will have difficulty fitting the collar.  From memory it did need encouraging - collars frequently do. Sewing is about manipulating to get results sometimes.

Hope this helps ...

*****

Sherry ( a new sewer with  no blog) commented that she is having difficulty fitting and would like some help from experienced sewers.

Sherry, I highly  recommend that you start blog as this is how we blogging sewers communicate with each other.   You can also join forums such as Artisan Square and sewing pattern review (www.sewing.patternreview.com) where there are lots of other sewers, and classes on fitting.  Other places where you can find courses about fitting -  Craftsy classes. (www.craftsy.com) There are also plenty of books available on fitting.

*****

And my plans - well, for once, I don't have any!  So after I finish work tomorrow, I'll have to have a stash rummage and see what I can find...

Have a good week everyone, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz :)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, but I think you also have a lot to keep you busy :)

      Delete
  2. Indeed, SL is a busy lady! She's very kind, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SarahLiz, I finished my garment for October.. I will post on my blog today.. I was wondering, if I need to post it to you also?/ thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, no, only post on the Style the Stash Sew A Long blog, as you have access there. I'll post on this blog - I'll leave a comment on your blog for you :)

      Delete