Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Is Sarah Liz really going to make Vogue 1247?


Vogue 1247.  By now everyone else in the sewing world has made it and loved it.  I don't even know if I like it, but this pattern almost seems like a rite of passage pattern

So I am going to make a test version.  Out of very ordinary material.  Just in case I don't like it much.

I have the skirt already started.  As I am using scraps of black calico, I thought I might as well make this my muslin.  If it works, I have a bonus skirt.





I have the skirt made up and  pinned up to approximately the right hem length.  Not levelled of course.  I also forgot I was wearing my wrist bandage (often worn sewing - I have a rheumatic condition that affects joints sometimes).  I don't follow the old 1950's adage that you should look your best when fitting garments, complete with makeup (seems silly, it may go on the clothes...).  I just wear an old t-shirt and trousers that can be pulled on and off easily.

I've folded my t-shirt up so that I can view the pockets and see how they sit:


Which look to me a little as though they will pouch.  Like this:




Hmmm.  I suspect my small hips and thighs are part of the problem - I don't have anything to pull the skirt out.

I think I can salvage the situation by applying tension (which a fuller body would do be filling out the skirt) and anchoring the pockets  a bit at the corners - much like reinforcing pockets.  I can also make them just a bit smaller this way.

I'm glad I am testing this pattern first - in my imagination, I was going to have barely visible pockets, and would have used an exquisite linen.

I am going to muslin the top out of bits and pieces of old sheet and other bits and pieces reserved for this purpose:


As this top has an enormous amount of design ease and is extremely large around the neck area, I decided to cut size 6.  Which is quite big enough.  The neck will fall off me, so I will add an inch (2cm approx) to this area.  I have marked my bust points, and the darts are well below.  However, if I pull the dart line over my bust, it tends to flatten me.  The pleats give more than enough bust fullness, and the darts tend to take the garment in under it.  And when I raised the garment so that the darts sat nearer my bust, I just looked flat.
 So, I decided to leave them as they were. 

I am going to take out a bit of fullness at the side.  If you look closely at the picture above and below you can see the pins where I will do this.  This small alteration also adds a bit of shape.

The back is totally unfitted - in fact, my back looks much like the pattern back, so I think this is okay.

And as for the side view - patterns rarely show you that - this is what is happening:


I am still very much in two minds about this pattern.  Do I like either piece?  I'll make it up the skirt and the top and reserve my final judgement for when I see the finished garments. 

 Sarah Liz :)
 
P.S.  The pants are RTW.  See how poorly they fit me - I chuckle when sewers say copy a pair of RTW pants that fit you - none ever do fit me!  So it never really worries me when me made trousers are not perfect in fit - usually they are no worse than any of my RTW pants :)

29 comments:

  1. Well SarahLiz, I've has V1247 cut out for ~3 maybe 4 months and sitting on a chair in my studio. I think the skirt looks good on so many, it's the top I'm not sure about on me. I like how you've take some fullness out from the sides. Can't wait to see the FO's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea - yes, I agree, I am still not sure about the top. People do seem to like the skirt. I'd like to see your version one day as well :)

      Delete
  2. I have seen this skirt made up by many, and each looks brilliant. Stick with it, tweak it to suit you, and you might be pleasantly surprised. It is one of the patterns on my 'must get' list ~ at the next sale ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sale time is the right time to buy an expensive pattern. I am doing what you suggest - adopting a wait and see, open minded attitude :)

      Delete
  3. The skirt has interesting lines, I think it needs a heavy fabric with a dense weave, like a herringbone or basket weave, to make it work. Linen may be too loose a weave.
    Sorry but I'm not wild about the top, it looks like it would fall down the back or off the shoulders easily. I'd spend my entire day tugging it forward.
    Looking forward to,seeing this made up. Suspect your version may change my mind on this patter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I agree, a heavy weight would work well with this skirt. The top is going to be one of those fiddle and adjust all day long tops - not for everyday active wear.

      Delete
  4. I am liking the look of what you have done so far - I really like the look of the top in the colour block. I know you are muslining (is that a word) it but it looks great in the two tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I thought the same think BeaJay - the colour block looks good. I don't have the bits for that though - but one day, perhaps :)

      Delete
  5. I am afraid I have not joined the band wagon on this pattern. I do love the top though so maybe I will use it as inspiration to draft one. I love the loose and flowing lines. And if only I had the 'no bottom and legs' problem - will dream about it!! Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen - yes, I resisted the band wagon for ages, and then decided I wanted to see what this pattern was all about :)

      Delete
  6. I have almost bought this pattern several times. It's seems to work well for lots of people (and different body types). I think you're doing great with your fitting too.

    I think the shirt is good and with a fabric with more drape will be perfect. I think the skirt needs just minor tweaks to get it how you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, this pattern is starting to work. Like you, I almost bought the pattern too - I finally did on a $5.00 sale :)

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing how you complete this as it's a pattern I've been thinking about sewing too. Appreciate your notes along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, yes, this pattern seems to be on everyone's list :)

      Delete
  8. I think this is going to be a great look for you. It is fresh, and in linen, will be very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - the linen may have to wait until next summer when the skirt is tweaked enough :)

      Delete
  9. I think this pattern will look great on you... Great job on the fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the same camp as MrsCharisma: I've considered buying this pattern a number of times and keep passing on it. I like how it looks on others, but I'm not sure it will look good on me. I'll be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L, I did the same for ages - in fact, I adamantly did not like it :).

      But I decided, on a whim and encouraged by a sale price, to see how this pattern works. I'm as interested in that as in anything else :)

      Delete
  11. I'm still laughing at the idea of putting make up on to fit clothes:)

    Just like Judith, I've seen great versions of this skirt so I'm sure it will be worth the effort. The top seems have more mixed results but I think yours is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaye, glad you had a laugh :) :)

      I think it is important to have the right figure for this top - it needs shoulders to hang from.

      Delete
  12. Hi SarahLiz, my copy of this pattern arrived a few days ago, and I will be watching your results with more than passing interest. I also have 'no thighs', and it makes fitting so hard, including with pants too. Looking at the top, I am a bit unsure also, but will try it in something quite soft as a muslin, and go from there. Funny how some patterns become a rite of passage, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - welcome to the "no thighs"club - Kathy is in it too :)

      I agree with you, fitting is very difficult with this sort of shape. I will pass on all my findings about the top. Can't wait to see you complete your rite of passage :)

      Delete
  13. I doubt I will ever make the top as I'm not fond of loose or baggy garments. I will be interested to see how you overcome these issues. Perhaps it needs to be made in something very soft.

    I love my skirt and found that most of my tops cover the tops of the pockets which deals with pouchiness caused by thin thighs. Since most of the design features are covered by the top one might say why bother making this skirt, but I love pockets and these make a nice change from side seam or patch pockets.

    I love your thorough fitting posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy - yes, normally I like fitted tops, but in summer I am happy to wear looser tops. And in winter, big jumpers.

      The skirt has potential I think to make a great winter skirt - as you say, the pockets are a change. I also wondered why the design features when the top covered most of them.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Kathy, thank you for commenting on my fitting posts.

      Delete
  14. I made this top for myself in a light woven cotton - it looked terrible on my pear-shaped body. I made it for a (rectangle-shaped) friend in a nice organic knit & it looks Great on her.

    I really like the way it looks on you from the front. Maybe just add a couple of dart at the waist in the back?

    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris - I agree, this would not suit a pear shaped figure (unless it was very thin). I thought about darts, but quite like the baggy look - it is baggy on the model.

      Delete