Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Make a Garment a Month, my November garment.


I've finally finished and photographed my chosen garment for this month   I deliberately chose a very simple project as I had a lot of energy directed elsewhere this month.

I chose New Look 6129:


This is a simple little skirt with an elastic waist and pockets at the side ( if you want this variation - you can make the skirt without pockets as well).  The pattern included a drawstring, but I decided not to add that.

Here is a picture of me in the skirt - I'm afraid it is rather unflattering - I am wearing a little tank top only for the purposes of the photo - it is something I would never wear in real life in this way (maybe under a shirt).  But I wanted to show you the top of the skirt.  There is also a white spot showing - not sure why, because it does not exist - so I think it is a photo problem: 


I made the skirt out of a polished cotton poplin.  The fabric is pre-loved - I  had a box pleated skirt made in this fabric, and then decided the box pleats were a little dated.  So I took the skirt apart and put the fabric aside.

The skirt seems to drop a little at the front.  If you look at the model on the pattern envelope, her skirt is also dropping at the front.  I  have noticed other New Look patterns drop on me - I suspect this pattern company is geared more to the pear shape figure.


I don't mind if it does drop a bit though, as this skirt was made for "running around in".  It is for striding, going to the supermarket, going for walks - all those action activities.  Hence the elastic waist and the A-Line shape.  I checked a couple of my other A-Line skirts and each has a slightly different hem shape.  Some skirts drop drastically at the side for me - obviously they are designed for the girl with large hips and thighs.  And some very slim, straight skirts sit better at the hem.  I guess that's because I am straight too!

I was pleased with my sewing - the inside looks good:


The waistband is cut on and then stitched in the ditch.

The pockets have all been topstitched for a sporty look:


The side seams and hem also have a similar treatment:

As you can see, the top stitching has pulled the sides up a bit - this polished poplin seems to operate this way.  I remember Louise (from www.fromno23.blogspot.com ) having a similar problem when she used a polished cotton.

(The fabric is also not easy to iron....)

As this is a "running around skirt" I am not really going to worry about any of these issues.  When I look at some of my RTW garments the same problems are also evident.  So, I will be wearing this with a casual shirt and as I will be moving, I  think the skirt will be fine.

Okay, big smile now for the camera as I show you the front:

Front
Now the back (this one is easier):
Back
And the side (and the hem doesn't look so bad here):

Side
This skirt is a lovely little basic.  I have been working on basics all this year - a little boring, not really much sewing fun, but soon I will have a great little casual wardrobe.  Next year, the smart clothes....

Sarah Liz :)



42 comments:

  1. I think it is cute and you wear it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your skirt Sarahliz... And I love the simple a-line skirts for running around in.. I have made myself ,several of them.. Happy sewing.. And hope life slows down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - A-line skirts are just wearable.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great basic that will go with lots of other clothes - and your top-stitching . . . . it looks absolutely perfect! Very nice indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it will be a great basic - and between you and me, I enjoy doing topstitching, so I have had lots of practice :)

      Delete
  4. Nice skirt and I love the pockets. It looks very comfortable to wear and that's what I'm aiming for in my new wardrobe. I may have to make one too.
    I don't know the difference in fabrics yet except woven cotton & knits. I will learn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, yes this is a great wearable basic. It is easy to make as well. And you are right, you will learn - and that never stops :).

      Delete
  5. Nice skirt - lovely topstitching makes it more than a "basic". This will be great for everyday wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leonie - topstitching can make something look a bit special, you are right :)

      Delete
  6. Nice Skirt, very wearable and perfect for running around in. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent skirt. Mightily impressed you are done. My pants seem to have shrunk between cutting out and sewing up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has turned out well. Topstitching is worth it to highlight style lines so you have this skill down pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I actually like doing topstitching as well :)

      Delete
  9. This is exactly the type of garments that we need in our wardrobe ~ great fitting, easy to wear, and easy to spend the day in doing 'what-ever!' I am sure you will be popping this little skirt on many times during the week ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Judith - I do tend to make wearable basics. I love the more extravagant garments, but I have learned that I actually wear the practical ones :)

      Delete
  10. Wardrobe basics are always great additions to the closet. I was just searching my closet moments ago looking for something casual/quick to wear to a laid-back event this evening. Methinks more basics are in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes sewing the basics is a little on the boring side, but really it does pay to have them in the wardrobe - you can always dress them up.

      Delete
  11. Beautifully done! And will get you through summer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your little skirt - especially the pockets and topstitching you did. Finishes it off very nice. I think it looks very good on you and you will enjoy wearing it and be comfortable as well in that elastic waist. One can't beat an elastic waist for comfort, in my book! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - it is a lovely little skirt pattern. I agree with you about elastic for comfort - and for everyday wear I think that is essential :)

      Delete
  13. Yes, this is wonderful! I love the topstitching and the pockets...your skirt is perfect for errands, lounging, housework. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute skirt, and I think you will find you will wear it a lot!
    I have also sewn a skirt for my Nov. Challenge:

    http://sewmuchknitting.blogspot.com/2013/11/garment-month-novembersimplicity-2451.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty - and I'll be over to collect your garment soon :)

      Delete
  15. The skirt looks good. I love that it has pockets. IT looks very nice on you and looks comfortable. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it Sandy - it's quite simple to make as well :)

      Delete
  16. Very nice!
    Personally, I find that I wear my simple clothes the most - they're the wardrobe workhorses.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right - we need to build our wardrobes around clothes that we actually use.

      Delete
  17. What a great little skirt and perfect for running around in as it looks like it would be super comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, yes it is super comfortable. I might have to make one in "good"fabric too, to wear on smarter occasions when I still want to be comfortable.

      Delete
  18. Great skirt. I'll have to try that pattern. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a really handy little skirt to have :)

      Delete
  19. Great skirt Sarah! I love your attitude that it does not have to be perfect and just moving forward. :) Although, it sure looks pretty to me and I love the pockets and the details you put in to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I take the attitude that every garment is a learning experience (some more than others!).

      Delete
  20. Perfect little skirt for running around in and basics are a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, I agree, I've been working on basics all this year.

      Delete