Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

The Trouble with Knitting, Part Two

A few weeks ago I told you all about the problems I was having with getting the correct tension for a knitting project.  In short I had multiple attempts at making a jumper, undoing it, and redoing new tensions squares.  The full story can be found here.

At the  moment, I am not sure if knitting is fun at all.  Why?  Because after all my tension checking, I started knitting the garment.


I did check measure, and thought the measurements were a little snug - but then I thought maybe as this was an Italian cardigan blazer, that it might just be a little more form fitting than some cardigan jackets.  So I kept going.  I completed the back.  I remeasured.  It seemed snug.

Then the light bulbs went on.  It seemed snug because IT WAS SNUG.  TOO SNUG. FAR FAR TOO SNUG.

And the reason was simple. The reason was ME.  I had forgotten to change the needles to the larger size once I had finished the hem portion.

Such a simple thing.  I can only put it down to having a lot on my mind at the moment.

So, I undid the lot.  And started again:


And this time, I have remembered to change the needles to the larger size after completing the hem strip.

For those of you that are interested, this is what I want to make:


Now I have gone through the pain of undoing everything and starting again,  I am now enthusiastically looking forward to one day having this knitted cardigan blazer.

Sarah Liz






23 comments:

  1. I do not knit, my mother does.

    Your perseverance is always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe you me, sometimes I don't persevere :), but you are right, I usually do.

      Delete
  2. Good luck and hope it comes out beautiful. I don't knit myself it look way to hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, it's actually not that hard, and can be quite relaxing.

      Delete
  3. That will be so lovely when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent 5 years knitting a cardigan. Finally finished it this winter to discover, after I had sewn it all together, that the sleeves would fit an elephant. Don't know what went wrong. :-(
    I'm sure yours will be lovely when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. MarianneNovember 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM
      That happened to me once and I fixed it by treating my sleeves just as I would do while sewing with knits. Serged it to the desired width and put the sleeves in. It worked!

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a good idea, Marianne!

      Delete
    4. It does sound like a good idea. After five years, it must have been a bit disappointing.

      Delete
  5. Undoing is such a shame, but what can you do? As Confucius said: when you make a mistake and don't fix it, that's another mistake ;)
    It will be a lovely cardigan blazer once it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and what a great saying - must remember it.

      Delete
  6. Oh no, how annoying! It's a gorgeous pattern though, I'm sure your efforts will be worth it.

    At least with knitting you can undo it and start again. If you'd have cut fabric too small however, you're stuck then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, it is annoying, but you are so right, at least I can start again.

      Delete
  7. Hope all your time and effort gives you the result your looking for. Nice pattern, I only have the patience to knit small items usually on small needles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - and I have to admit, I don't have the patience you do - small things on small needles sounds far too fiddly :)

      Delete
  8. Hope all your time and effort gives you the result your looking for. Nice pattern, I only have the patience to knit small items usually on small needles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am dazzled by anyone that even ATTEMPTS knitting! I'm envious of the results, but don't even want to try it myself. All that counting stitches, careful with needle sizes, etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris - it seems hard, but really, once you've got the hang of it, it's quite easy.

      Delete
  10. Oh no, so much work but now you will have a gorgeous cardigan with the right fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon - yes, you are right, it will be worth it in the end :)

      Delete
  11. What a pretty sweater.. Know it will be gorgeous when you finish it.. I never learned to knit.. but I really love the finished products.. So sorry yours had to be ripped out..[sad].. But , you have discovered the problem, so now, maybe it will go smoothly.. Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete