Sewing and Style

A blog for anyone interested in sewing their own clothes and creating a sense of personal style...


Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December Garment of the Month decided...


For my garment for the month of December I've decided that I will make the very popular Butterick 5917:


I was originally planning to make it in a gingham check:


But found this lovely blue seersucker at Spotlight - it's new in.  I haven't sewn seersucker before - but I love the idea that it does not need ironing. Also the texture will hide any residual fitting hiccups.

And also, this colour can be worn for many occasions - dress up or dress down.  It can be my little blue dress.  And recently I was looking for just such a dress.   And failed to find one in the wardrobe.  So this dress will fill a gap.

Having decided to make this dress, I will now make the second muslin.  The first has been made and can be found here.

Sarah Liz

24 comments:

  1. That seersucker does look nice. Navy is such a versatile colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BeaJay - it's a lovely seersucker - a "grown up"one :)

      Delete
  2. Another that likes seersucker and I can't wait to see the final version of this dress as this is definitely on my list to do once I get some more tops sewn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love all the old fashioned classic fabrics. Good luck with your tops and I can't wait to see your version of this dress in the future.

      Delete
  3. Must nip in to Spotties and get some of that seersucker. I like your choice of pattern. The muslin is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they have sent some over to W.A. I remember when I lived there, we used to joke about W.A. standing for Wait Awhile :).

      Delete
  4. Great choice! I love both pattern and fabric, the combination will make it very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why have you chosen to have such a wide bib section in the top? The envelope photos have a very narrow center section. Some of the excess fabric under the arms could be reduced by bringing the side panels into the center more.Fabric is very nice and so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a muslin only and in due course the bib section will be covered by the flounce. That's why it looks wide at the moment :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful selection with this pattern, I think the navy will be very classy. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the navy choice better than the gingham as it will make a classic piece for your wardrobe. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    I'm in! Thanks for hosting. So, do I send you a photo of my garment at the end of the month and you compile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, email the picture to me - stylishsarah251@gmail.com. I'll post it for you.

      Delete
  9. I bet you'll wear that a Lot!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seersucker fabric.. So cool and comfortable in the summer months.. Great pattern.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete